snowmanman

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Does anyone know what AMD's Spider is? I have tryed googling it, but I can't find much info on what it really is. Most people are calling it AMD's high end gaming platform. I'm not sure what that means. Is Spider a cpu, a gpu, motherboard, or what?
Here's an ad for I suppose Spider

http://amd-member.com/campaigns/evolution.html

Click on do you and it asks you what you think is coming.

also, here's an article on Spider.

http://www.crn.com/white-box/203101140?cid=CRNFeed

I still don't know what Spider is or what it does after reading this. Does anyone know?

4745454b

Titan
Something similar to Centrino. The Centrino platform is simply an Intel moblie CPU, Intel chipset, and Intel wireless card. If you have all three, then its a centrino platform. I'm guessing spider is more or less the same thing, but sub in the AMD video card instead of the wireless card. Unlike Centrino however, I don't think you really gain anything by using a spider platform. While Centrino doesn't provide any extra performance, you do get longer battery life. AFAIK, spider simply allows AMD to get more of your money...

jwlangs

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Pretty sure Spider is what AMD is calling Phenom X4 (or X3 or X2) + the 790FX chipset + either 1,2,3, or 4 RV670s (HD3950 or 3870). The whole desktop platform is Spider, we'll all see what it can do on Monday.

snowmanman

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007

So, Monday is the release date? Does the Phenom X4 release on Monday also?

jwlangs

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007

Monday the NDA lifts on both 790FX and Phenom I believe. Newegg is already selling the 38x0s and Gigabyte 790FX and 790X boards, and I'm expecting them to be selling Phenom X4s Monday or at least sometime next week, along with several more 790FX boards.

akhilles

Splendid
jwlangs got it right. It's a platform that uses whatever is officially released by AMD monday. If you say it's a chip, then it's Phenom. If you say it's a chipset, it's 790FX. If you say it's a gpu, it's RV670. Don't mix 'em up.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007

::thumbs down::

:lol: