OCZ StealthXStream 600w vs Corsair HX520w

My friend is getting a new psu and was looking at these two, So I was wondering which one of these is better.

The OCZ has 4 +12V rails with 18A whilst the Corsair HX has 3 +12V rails with 18A. However the Corsair HX520 costs more and from what I have been reading both are very good but the Corsair one is better.

If I may ask how?

Oh and do you guys think it these two would handle 2 8800GT's, I think it should, but I was looking around forums and people say a good psu over 550w-700w is needed.

I myself favour the Corsair but is it better than the StealthXStream 600w? And will any of these two be a good choice for SLI

Finally which one would you choose or recommend?

Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about stealthxstream 600w corsair hx520w
  1. new_builder said:
    My friend is getting a new psu and was looking at these two, So I was wondering which one of these is better.

The OCZ has 4 +12V rails with 18A whilst the Corsair HX has 3 +12V rails with 18A. However the Corsair HX520 costs more and from what I have been reading both are very good but the Corsair one is better. If I may ask how?

Oh and do you guys think it these two would handle 2 8800GT's, I think it should, but I was looking around forums and people say a good psu over 550w-700w is needed.

I myself favour the Corsair but is it better than the StealthXStream 600w? And will any of these two be a good choice for SLI

Thanks

Stealthstream 600 is the exact unit as the Gamestream minus the modular cabling. Tigerdirect sometimes has the unit available for under $70.

http://www.sysopt.com/features/cases/article.php/12024_3684541_3
  2. OCZ hands down. no never 2x 8800gt
  3. He may be from the UK.

Anyway, for a 2x8800gt pc, a 750w would be a safe bet. SLI certified would be the best.
  4. akhilles said:
    He may be from the UK.

Anyway, for a 2x8800gt pc, a 750w would be a safe bet. SLI certified would be the best.

According to Anantech, the worst power consumption with dual 8800 Ultra's and the most power consuming Processor on the market was just under 600 watts. The OCZ should be fine running two 8800gt. But I would stick to a 620w Corsair if you go for them. Both of those PSUs are SLI certified I think...The 520 Corsair one is, I know because I have it and it is the most stable PSU I have ever used...
  5. Yeah I'm from UK.

These are the psu requirements put by evga.

450w with 24A on +12V rail, so maybe even the hx520 will be fine not that we have decided.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=512-P3-N806-A1&family=19
  6. I would be cautious of the stealthxstream 600. I had one and the fan controller was messed up. It was always stuck at 100% and extremely loud. Other people have had the same problem. OCZ gave me a replacement though...the gamexstream 850 for free :)
  7. badge said:
    Stealthstream 600 is the exact unit as the Gamestream minus the modular cabling. Tigerdirect sometimes has the unit available for under $70.

http://www.sysopt.com/features/cases/article.php/12024_3684541_3

but the GameXtreme has no modular cables :P
    Your link is impressice but i know that computers do not use the power people think they do....my system in sig pulls 330 watts from the wall.....so take off at least 20% for losses i am under 280 watts...

OCZ's StealthXtreme is made my FSP
    The stealthXtreme is a GameXtreme with no LED fan(it is slightly louder) a slightly different fan grille(no powder coating, unless they changed it) Fewer connectors(since its budget) and last off it uses slightly lower end components inside. Do not take that as a direct negative both PSU's have components that are well overrated for what the psu puts out(so lets say they want 600, they have regulators that can handle 750+ :) , don't quote me on the exact numbers thats an estimate and this does not mean that you can pull 750 from it....because it was still deigned for 600), Its all just an attempt to bring a cheaper PSU to market....Its also NOT sli certified where the GameXtreme is, yet they have identical specs....odd but true

Its not a bad PSU, but some claim it to be loud....

Corsairs HX520 is made by Seasonic
    I have no personal experience with seasonic PSU's but they get nothing but great reviews and are most likely to be more quiet.

Just my 2 cents :)

EDIT---------------
    Quote:
    I would be cautious of the stealthxstream 600. I had one and the fan controller was messed up. It was always stuck at 100% and extremely loud. Other people have had the same problem. OCZ gave me a replacement though...the gamexstream 850 for free :)

Note to self, buy StealthXtreme and break fan controller.....
  8. Didn't OCZ buy PC Power and Cooling? BTW, my 600 watt Stealthstream is still in the unopened box for months now. It was cheap and I keep it for a spare.
  9. Yes(join forces :) ), but i have not seen them make anything together yet....

http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/press/2007/222

My spare is an Antec 380s..... its runs an E6600+1900XT(about the same power as a 8800GTS)
  10. FTW I was angry with my son and took away his 4800X2/7800GT x 2/2 GB HyperX 400 mhz. system. He is now using a socket 478 3.0 Northwood w/VIA NB/Radeon 9200/ 2 x 512 Kingston value RAM system I stuck together when I upgraded his friend's computer. My son is using a $5 power supply that keeps crashing him out. It's funny realizing the power I have! LOL!
  11. lol.... the breaker(or fuse if you still have those) for the computer in question is even more powerful....
  12. I would avoid OCZ like the plague personally.

I had 3 bad and went to an Antec True Power. Ever since I've owned two in the True Power series including the new 650w 65 dollars after shipping and no regrets. So personally with my bad experience with OCZ I would go for Corsair.
  13. ok thanks for your opinions, both are good but I think the corsair 620w will be the choice since I never hear anything bad about that psu brand.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies OCZ Corsair Components