What is up with google chrome (Please Read)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkrajnov

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Ok so I just recently formatted my SSD and re-installed Windows 7 fresh. Everything is working fine except I'm running into a bizarre problem with Google Chrome. It will work fine for a while and then all of a sudden, it will start lagging a good 3 seconds when I load a web page. It will continue doing this until I restart the computer. I've tried clearing cookies, disabling plugins/extensions, re-installing. Nothing works. Firefox will also remain loading fine after this time. It just seems like after I've had the computer running for so long, chrome all of a sudden starts to load slow for no apparent reason.

rkrajnov

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
I don't know what it is. I noticed something else weird that starts happening right when it occurs too. If I go select "more power options" on the battery button at the bottom right, I experience the same 3-5 second lag. Same with to "open network and sharing center" on the network button next to it. Those are the only other two things I've noticed, but there is something really weird going on. Restart cures them all and they all start happening at the same time (sometimes while I'm using the computer, sometimes while it's idle). Everything else runs fine and CPU and RAM usage are both extremely low. My SSD seems to be working ok as well. I don't know what is going on.

rkrajnov

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
To add to my last reply, I just noted something interesting. That lag with the "power options" and "open network and sharing center" stops as soon as I close chrome or chromium. But as soon as I open either program again, it continues... What could be causing this and how do I fix it?

EDIT: Hmm, this also seems to happen when I have any program open. Doesn't matter what the program is. It's almost like my computer is having trouble switching processes or something. All my programs seem to be taking longer than normal to load. It's not terrible, but there's a definite slow down. The background loading icon spins for a lot longer than normal.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Sounds like your memory is being maxed out and you're pushing your system on to virtual memory, causing the hard drive to take much longer to load things.

Are you keeping watch on your memory usage?
Also, how full is your hard drive?

astronomer6573

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

Try emptying the cache or start chrome with cache disabled or use it in incognito mode.
I did the same as yours by using intel 330 120gb and IE9 ran way faster than chrome, I was stunned so I have been searching for solutions.
Apparently, chrome uses HUGE cache to ensure its speed in SDD and it's fine in HDD system but somehow I am not sure why it's not for SSD.
Perhaps there's some coding problem.
Unfortunately there's no option for disabling cache directly currently.
So if you have the tabs lagging, go to settings and clear all your cache and it will run fine.
Else-wise, you can start the chrome by adding the following

--disk-cache-size=N --media-cache-size=N

to your chrome shortcut.
Hope this helps =)

rkrajnov

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I did solve the problem finally. Found some malware program installed on my computer. Malwarebytes wasn't catching it, but I uninstalled it using revo uninstaller and thus far haven't had the problem again (and to add on to that I uninstalled it while the problem was occurring and it actually stopped after the program was completely uninstalled). Hopefully, things will go back to working order now. It's annoying having a blazing fast laptop when I have to restart it every few hours to keep it working right lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.