How to recover a deleted user account for win xp home

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekxsmith

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I seem to have lost the user account on my computer with XP home edition I can still log on to my computer via another user but of course I have lost all my saved emails and other saved items. I can retreive the files etc stored in the 'my documents' folder as that folder is still available in 'Documents & Settings' I realy want to log in to my old user account which ,incidentally,was not password protected. Is there a way?

In Documents and Settings, did you happen to notice a new folder entitled with your former Username and the computer name? If you did, create a new account and cut and paste the entire contents from that to the new set of folders with the exception of ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.LOG and ntuser.ini.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I agree with Saga Lout. If you can still find you documents then the rest of your files are likely still sitting there waiting for you to reclaim them.

Perform the process Saga Lout describes because it is very unlikely that you can fix the corrupted profile. It is much easier to go with a new profile and copy your files and settings over to it.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.