A little overclocking advice

noexpert

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
Hey

I want to overclock my E6750 to 3.0ghz. I'm using stock hsf fan so I don't know about going any further but for now I'd just like to get it to 3.0ghz.

Let me first give you some details of my system.

E6750,
P5N-E SLI

2x1GB crucial ddr2 667 MHz ram, dual channel
timings @ 5-5-5-12-2T
FSB DRAM 1:1
Frequencey @ 333.4 MHz

E6750
multiplier x8
bus speed 333.4 MHz
core voltage changes slightly - now @ 1.376V, sometimes its 1.360V and 1.344V(using CPU-Z)

Now should I just raise the bus speed to 375 Mhz to get it to 3.0ghz or Do I need to touch anything else like the Vcore?

With stock hsf what kind of temps should I be seeing(expecting) with this overclock?

Oh I've gone through the stickies how to overclock C2D and the temperature guides which were really helpful, just posting now to get some final feedback and tips

Thanks

edit - failed to mention its ddr2 667 and the ram sticks are 1.8v, also no heat spreader.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
You might find you are limited by your DDR667 RAM.
It might not TAKE a 375 FSB.

Up your FSB in 10Mhz increments, and stress test it.

noexpert

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
hmm So let me get this right with ddr2 800mhz you usually have to take the ram to 667 so when you raise the fsb the ram the clocks to 800mhz meaning there was no overclock of the ram. correct?

Problem with me is that my ram at 667mhz which would mean it would have to be overclocked and that means the ram may not be able to take the overclock. ok then, i'm getting this I know I am newb to ocing.

So you suggest to just raise the fsb by 10mhz?

what if I underclocked the ram?

please anyone else also join in to give some advice thanks

Edit - I was going to the thread title to include "E6750" but it doesn't allow me:(

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
OK.
All ram has a speed it is designed to run at.
Hence DDR667, DDR800, DDR1066 etc.
There is some play here, better ram will often run faster than it's advertised speed.

Normally you control this with the memory multiplier and FSB. But AFAIK the LOWEST multiplier is 2x.

so, lets for the SAKE OF ARGUMENT say your DDR2-667 MIGHT just run at DDR700.
remember that multiplier of two?
which means the highest FSB this ram can handle is 350MHz.

my 10Mhz increment was a suggestion of a nice safe step to take.
People seem obsessed (this isn't directed at you personally) with things like 'I upped my FSB from 333 to 500 and my PC won't POST'

well, no **** sherlock..... take it step at a time.

noexpert

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
hey thanks for info.

Ok I upped the FSB 10mhz and booted up to windows.
I ran all programs like CPU-Z and Core Temp, here are images below to show you.
Now when I first ran CPU-Z it gave some error and closed, so I launched it again and it ran but some of the details went missing like the Core Voltage, bus speed, the memory info everythings gone.

CPUID HW monitor reads the VCore 1.47, I didn't increase the Vcore myself :??: . The Vcore was left to auto in the Bios.

So Ran Prime95 for a only a few minutes and this is what I get below.

For such a small overclock the temps are too high so I closed everything and set it back to the way it was.

But now when I run CPU-Z the VCore is still 1.47, should I go back to the Bios and manually set the Vcore to 1.37.

What did I do wrong? please help.

btw refering to the guide in this section
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/240001-11-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

I was unable to find the Modify Ratio Support to disable it, the PECI to enable it and the PCI Clock Sync to set it to 33.33Mhz.

EDIT - Even now when I run Prime95 CoreTemp is giving me 61-62C and 65C. and Speed Fan is giving me 47-48C.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Take Vcore off Auto.

When it's on auto and you increase the FSB some boards supply WAY too much power to the cpu.

Set it to 1.35 and check your temps. Then increase the FSB.

If everything is stable, then you can start decreasing your Vcore.

Ultimately you want a stable overclock with the LOWEST Vcore that it will remain stable at.

---------------
I was unable to find the Modify Ratio Support to disable it, the PECI to enable it and the PCI Clock Sync to set it to 33.33Mhz.

these have different names on different boards. Once you understand what these settings do, read your manual and you'll find something (hopefully) that does the job

noexpert

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
I took the VCore down to 1.35 and now the temps are better.

At Idle CoreTemp reads 38C and SpeedFan read 23C
Running Prime95 Small FFTs test CoreTemp read 57C and SpeedFan is reading 43C

EDIT - Memory Ratio is set to auto