Dirt Industry vs Manufacturing

AJ

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Anyone know if the 'low' polution of dirty industry is more polluting than
'high' of manufacturing industry? I seem to be getting a lot of low
pollution dirty industry and lots of high polluting manufacturing. Been
bulldozing my manufacturing and keeping the dirty, hehe.

AJ wrote:
> Anyone know if the 'low' polution of dirty industry is more polluting
> than 'high' of manufacturing industry? I seem to be getting a lot of
> low pollution dirty industry and lots of high polluting
> manufacturing. Been bulldozing my manufacturing and keeping the
> dirty, hehe.

I assumed dirty was always more poluting that manufacturing, but now that
you say you can get low poluting dirty and high manufacturing, im not sure.
Look at the graphs/Data views to find out.

"Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
> AJ wrote:
> > Anyone know if the 'low' polution of dirty industry is more polluting
> > than 'high' of manufacturing industry? I seem to be getting a lot of
> > low pollution dirty industry and lots of high polluting
> > manufacturing. Been bulldozing my manufacturing and keeping the
> > dirty, hehe.
>
> I assumed dirty was always more poluting that manufacturing, but now that
> you say you can get low poluting dirty and high manufacturing, im not
sure.
> Look at the graphs/Data views to find out.

All of my industry is clogged together. It still only produces yellow
polution and I stupidly put houses near by (8 or so squares). I've given up
on that city for now, finally got to positive cash flow then bad things
started to happen. It is strange about the pollution. Also I have a high
polluting high tech plant as well. I'm just wondering if these things are on
different scales from each other. I would "think" that a high polluting
hightech plant would be less polluting than a low polluting dirty petrolium
tank. to be continued..

In article <y0Hbd.700067$Gx4.519995@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Anyone know if the 'low' polution of dirty industry is more polluting than
>'high' of manufacturing industry? I seem to be getting a lot of low
>pollution dirty industry and lots of high polluting manufacturing. Been
>bulldozing my manufacturing and keeping the dirty, hehe.

Bad move.

There are only three kinds of industry: Dirty, Manufacturing and High Tech.

The amount of pollution they produce is highest with Dirty and lowest with
High Tech. A word of caution: the pollution indicator you see when you query
a particular industrial building is an indication of the amount of pollution
it is *seeing* at the location it sits at, not the amount of pollution it is
producing. As an example, if all your industry is sited in roughly the same
location (and I see from your followup posting that it is), if you query a
High Tech building and it says within the query box, "pollution: high", it
means the High Tech building is swimming in the pollution your neighbor Dirty
and Manufacturing buildings are generating. That pollution will drift some
distance from the site of origin. Use the aerial views to graphically see the
cloud if you want. And desirability also scales highly with pollution.
You'll find that any High Tech industry that does appear in these highly
polluted areas will suffer from low desirability and low employment, often
followed by abandonment.

On a related note, planting individual trees is one of the simplest and most
cost effective ways of combatting pollution you'll find.

Long story short, if you want High Tech, don't park it next to your dirtier
manufacturing areas. And get a copy of the Prima Official Strategy Guide to
Simcity. You'll be thankful you did...
---
Mike

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

http://www.zared.com/Regional/North_America/United_States/Oklahoma/Localities/N/Newcastle/Maps_and_Views/Aerial_Views/