Does anyone know how to restore the BIOS system? I was fooling around and
no longer have access to it. I have an E machine.

Jim McNulty

I will assume that the system still boots but you are now locked out of the
bios?

Did you place a password on the BIOS and now are locked out?

"James McNulty" <jamesmcnulty_james_3@msn.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to restore the BIOS system? I was fooling around
> and no longer have access to it. I have an E machine.
>
> Jim McNulty

The system still boots and I don't use a password. Thanks

"Manny Borges" <manny_borges@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I will assume that the system still boots but you are now locked out of the
>bios?
>
> Did you place a password on the BIOS and now are locked out?
>

> "James McNulty" <jamesmcnulty_james_3@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know how to restore the BIOS system? I was fooling around
>> and no longer have access to it. I have an E machine.
>>
>> Jim McNulty

fred

Post back with more info such as what exactly happens when you try to
accsess the bios and what kind of computer/mobo you have

"James McNulty" <jamesmcnulty_james_3@msn.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to restore the BIOS system? I was fooling around
> and no longer have access to it. I have an E machine.
>
> Jim McNulty

Hi James,

You are confusing the operating system with the BIOS. They are not the same
thing, the BIOS is accessed by striking a key or key combination at initial
startup long before Windows starts to load.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

James McNulty wrote:
> Does anyone know how to restore the BIOS system? I was fooling
> around and no longer have access to it. I have an E machine.
>
> Jim McNulty

This has nothing whatsoever to do with Windows XP. RTFM.

RTFM on your medication, sicko.

| James McNulty wrote:
| > Does anyone know how to restore the BIOS system? I was fooling
| > around and no longer have access to it. I have an E machine.
| >
| > Jim McNulty
|
| This has nothing whatsoever to do with Windows XP. RTFM.

fred

What does RTFM mean? I bet it's a helpful phrase that the OP will understand
and take to heart. What a helpful person you are!
I would say you are a IFC. Guess what that means?

> James McNulty wrote:
>> Does anyone know how to restore the BIOS system? I was fooling
>> around and no longer have access to it. I have an E machine.
>>
>> Jim McNulty
>
> This has nothing whatsoever to do with Windows XP. RTFM.

fred

Check this out
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-532190.php

BTW she probably has you killfiled. I change my email addy/nic once in a
while just to tweak her ;- )
"Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
> RTFM on your medication, sicko.
>
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
> | James McNulty wrote:
> | > Does anyone know how to restore the BIOS system? I was fooling
> | > around and no longer have access to it. I have an E machine.
> | >
> | > Jim McNulty
> |
> | This has nothing whatsoever to do with Windows XP. RTFM.

Miss Terspicacia P*ick was saying "Read The F**king Manual"
Real nice help eh !

"Fred" <hytggf@mmmt.com> wrote in message
> What does RTFM mean? I bet it's a helpful phrase that the OP will
> understand and take to heart. What a helpful person you are!
> I would say you are a IFC. Guess what that means?
>
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
>> James McNulty wrote:
>>> Does anyone know how to restore the BIOS system? I was fooling
>>> around and no longer have access to it. I have an E machine.
>>>
>>> Jim McNulty
>>
>> This has nothing whatsoever to do with Windows XP. RTFM.

Jim
When using E-Machine start tapping the Delete key right pushing the start
button to enter the BIOS.
If this doesn't work you will have to reset the CMOS, in order to do this
you will need to remove the power cord, battery, then there will either be a
jumper by the battery or you will have to short 2 terminals together you
will have to consult your motherboard doc's if you are not sure how to do
this.
What model E-Machine if you need further help.

The Bios is totally separate from the Operating System.

--
Good Day
River Rat

"James McNulty" <jamesmcnulty_james_3@msn.com> wrote in message
Does anyone know how to restore the BIOS system? I was fooling around and
no longer have access to it. I have an E machine.

Jim McNulty

No, I'm pressing the Delete key on startup and nothing happens.

> Hi James,
>
> You are confusing the operating system with the BIOS. They are not the
> same thing, the BIOS is accessed by striking a key or key combination at
> initial startup long before Windows starts to load.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "James McNulty" <jamesmcnulty_james_3@msn.com> wrote in message
>> The system still boots and I don't use a password. Thanks
>>

>> "Manny Borges" <manny_borges@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I will assume that the system still boots but you are now locked out of
>>>the bios?
>>>
>>> Did you place a password on the BIOS and now are locked out?
>>>

>>> "James McNulty" <jamesmcnulty_james_3@msn.com> wrote in message

Hi,

1) Is the keyboard active at that point (lights flashing)?
2) Can you see the prompt to hit <delete> to enter setup (if not, hit escape
first)?
3) What were you messing with prior to this problem? Nothing in Windows
affects this function.

--

> No, I'm pressing the Delete key on startup and nothing happens.

>> Hi James,
>>
>> You are confusing the operating system with the BIOS. They are not the
>> same thing, the BIOS is accessed by striking a key or key combination at
>> initial startup long before Windows starts to load.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "James McNulty" <jamesmcnulty_james_3@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> The system still boots and I don't use a password. Thanks
>>>

>>> "Manny Borges" <manny_borges@hotmail.com> wrote in message

"James McNulty" <jamesmcnulty_james_3@msn.com> wrote in message
> No, I'm pressing the Delete key on startup and nothing happens.

The correct key is Del at bottom right of keyboard

>> Hi James,
>>
>> You are confusing the operating system with the BIOS. They are not the
>> same thing, the BIOS is accessed by striking a key or key combination at
>> initial startup long before Windows starts to load.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "James McNulty" <jamesmcnulty_james_3@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> The system still boots and I don't use a password. Thanks
>>>

>>> "Manny Borges" <manny_borges@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks .It worked. Jim McNulty

Keith S wrote:
> "James McNulty" <jamesmcnulty_james_3@msn.com> wrote in message
>> No, I'm pressing the Delete key on startup and nothing happens.
>>

> The correct key is Del at bottom right of keyboard

1) The del key is *NOT* at the bottom right on most keyboards. The key in
the bottom right of most standard keyboards is the enter key on the numeric
keypad.

2) Del is *NOT* the "correct key" - it may be the correct key to enter
the BIOS on your computer, but it isn't on mine (I have to press F1). I
believe that Dell uses F10 and HP, F2.

Don't post misleading information.

derry

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004

1.You post the worse info I have ever seen
2 I have a Dell and he is right, delete IS the key to get into the BIOS.
3 "I believe" is *NOT* an answer.

> Keith S wrote:
>> "James McNulty" <jamesmcnulty_james_3@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> No, I'm pressing the Delete key on startup and nothing happens.
>>>

>> The correct key is Del at bottom right of keyboard
>
> 1) The del key is *NOT* at the bottom right on most keyboards. The key
> in the bottom right of most standard keyboards is the enter key on the
> numeric keypad.
>
> 2) Del is *NOT* the "correct key" - it may be the correct key to enter
> the BIOS on your computer, but it isn't on mine (I have to press F1). I
> believe that Dell uses F10 and HP, F2.
>
> Don't post misleading information.

You're Welcome
Glad to Help

--
Good Day
River Rat

Derry wrote:
> 2 I have a Dell and he is right, delete IS the key to get into the
> BIOS.

I have 8 Dell PCs around me right now.. Ranging from the Dimension to the
Optiplex series (and a PowerEdge server) - only the OLDER Dell systems used
"DEL" to eneter the BIOS. The models for the past 5+ years have used the F2
key commonly. The only make I cannot vouch for in the Dell line would be
the Precision Workstations.

The truth of the matter is, it is up to the person sitting in front of the
machine to read the message that tells them what key to press unless they
turned off that message. Then they can find out by flooding the keyboard
buffer at startup and forcing a "keyboard error" message and it will tell
them how to get into the BIOS.. Of course they could turn that off too
(keyboard error checking) - but what are you going to do - at that point -
break out the manual or contact the manufacturer!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

--
Good Day
River Rat

Derry wrote:
> 2 I have a Dell and he is right, delete IS the key to get into the
> BIOS.

I have 8 Dell PCs around me right now.. Ranging from the Dimension to the
Optiplex series (and a PowerEdge server) - only the OLDER Dell systems used
"DEL" to eneter the BIOS. The models for the past 5+ years have used the F2
key commonly. The only make I cannot vouch for in the Dell line would be
the Precision Workstations.

The truth of the matter is, it is up to the person sitting in front of the
machine to read the message that tells them what key to press unless they
turned off that message. Then they can find out by flooding the keyboard
buffer at startup and forcing a "keyboard error" message and it will tell
them how to get into the BIOS.. Of course they could turn that off too
(keyboard error checking) - but what are you going to do - at that point -
break out the manual or contact the manufacturer!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

If you mean the "zero/del" key on the key pad, then make sure Num-Lock is
Off.

However, usually 101-key keyboards have a set of six keys e.g. Insert, Home,
PgUp, Delete, End, PgDn.

Press the Delete key in this group of keys.