Windows Vista... Is it that bad???

Is Vista the Worst Windows Release since Windows ME?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

TitusFFX

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Nah, I actually like vista as long as you disable the annoying UAC control. After that it works pretty much like XP but a little more support for the newer stuff.

oh yeah and go ahead and disable the hibernation function if your computer supports S1+S3 standby modes so it won't stall when sleeping ^.^

start/ run/ cmd powercfg -h off

I got an OEM copy of Vista 64 when it was first released to install on an Athlon 64 I built. There was no driver support for many different devices - especially printers. I was using print sharing because this was back in the day when the wireless network printer was hardly existent in the mainstream market. The purpose of this machine was it was my print server on my home network and there was no driver support for my HP C3100 series printer. I removed Vista. Due to my frustration, I used SUSE linux (I am in no way a fan of linux, but have had to learn its ways). Then I tried Vista again a few years later on a dual-core system I built two years ago. I had the same printer and there were still no Vista 64-bit drivers for it. Could not stand how slow everything was in Vista either and found the driver support still wasn't there. Fortunately, I had a relative in college and was able to get the Windows 7 64-bit for $30 on the student discount.

Was it a Vista 64-bit thing? I mean everything about it was annoyingly terrible. Did the 32-bit edition work fine for most?

TitusFFX

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
yeah there is a large difference in how the 32 and 64bit versions are made for vista due to XP 64 was still kind of in beta during that time and they really didn't have a lot of experience in writting the code to be exact. However, they have greatly improved over the years and most have developed a a universal code system that allows them to go back and forth in compatiblity between 32 and 64bit.

oh far as the exact drivers for vista 64 here you go ^.^

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1146513&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=1146511&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2100

This is kind of how I feel. XP was solid. To me, Vista seemed like a bridge and Windows 7 seems to be what they originally wanted from Vista (at least from a 64-bit standpoint).

TitusFFX

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
ehh yeah they did improve a lot in terms of making everything 64bit compatible but in terms of using older devices they are pretty much usless if made during xp phase or older.

TRENDING THREADS