Sign in with
Your question

PC doesn't boot after hdd upgrade

Last response: in Windows XP
April 7, 2010 12:45:44 PM

Hi
I am new here, I hope this forum category fits my question.

My Western Digital HDD started to run very slowly,
I bought two new HDDs (Samsung and Seagate),
I copied the whole old WD HDD to the new Samsung with DriveImage XML
In Disk manager I set up the Samsung as active
I set up BIOS to boot from the new Samsung.

PC worked :sol:  , system was running from Samsung G:
but the pagefile was still on WD C:

I disabled the pagefile on WD C: and set it up on Samsung G:
Than I changed the WD disk letter from C: to P: and restarted computer

Now when I start it up it will start booting but then it will freeze showing the windows XP logo
on the blue background :cry: 

What can I do?

I can't even start it in Safe mode. Neither restoring to previous state doesn't help :fou: 

Thanks a lot
Peter

I have
WinXP SP2
Motherboard Asus P5K SE

More about : boot hdd upgrade

April 7, 2010 2:04:22 PM

petrolej said:
Hi
I am new here, I hope this forum category fits my question.

My Western Digital HDD started to run very slowly,
I bought two new HDDs (Samsung and Seagate),
I copied the whole old WD HDD to the new Samsung with DriveImage XML
In Disk manager I set up the Samsung as active
I set up BIOS to boot from the new Samsung.

PC worked :sol:  , system was running from Samsung G:
but the pagefile was still on WD C:

I disabled the pagefile on WD C: and set it up on Samsung G:
Than I changed the WD disk letter from C: to P: and restarted computer

Now when I start it up it will start booting but then it will freeze showing the windows XP logo
on the blue background :cry: 

What can I do?

I can't even start it in Safe mode. Neither restoring to previous state doesn't help :fou: 

Thanks a lot
Peter

I have
WinXP SP2
Motherboard Asus P5K SE

I'm guessing his might be difficult since you cloned rather than reinstalling but you're going to need an XP CD or download the Recovery Console ISO and burn that to a CD using Nero or ImgBurn. If you don't have an XP CD, Google for rc.iso and try to find a respectable site to download it - BleepingComputer springs to mind.

In the Console or XP's Repair option, at the Command Prompt, type fixmbr and hit Enter. Accept eth warning and when it completes, type fixmbr and hit Enter again and accept the warning, etc.

Type exit to close the Console and restart. If that hasn't fixed it, please post back for details of rebuilding the BootCFG.

April 7, 2010 4:02:56 PM

Thank you Saga. This sounds like something worth trying. I'll let you know with the result.
Related resources
April 7, 2010 5:05:18 PM

Saga Lout said:
I'm guessing his might be difficult since you cloned rather than reinstalling but you're going to need an XP CD or download the Recovery Console ISO and burn that to a CD using Nero or ImgBurn. If you don't have an XP CD, Google for rc.iso and try to find a respectable site to download it - BleepingComputer springs to mind.

In the Console or XP's Repair option, at the Command Prompt, type fixmbr and hit Enter. Accept eth warning and when it completes, type fixmbr and hit Enter again and accept the warning, etc.

Type exit to close the Console and restart. If that hasn't fixed it, please post back for details of rebuilding the BootCFG.

I did it. Same result. PC seems like it is going to start but it stops on the loading screen with windows logo on blue background.
April 7, 2010 7:05:02 PM

I trier to clone it again outside the OS with PING. Same result. After restoring to new disk. Windows seems to start until it reaches the screen with windows logo on blue background and stops.

Anyway I am giving up. It still works with the old HDD. It is my friends PC. I am giving it back as it is - working from the old HDD.

Thanks for your help
!