Sign in with
Your question

e6750 with a mind of it's own...

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2007 5:54:51 AM

Well, title pretty much sums it up. I took a quick video showing what it is doing:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/jesse_braham/?act...

What the hell would cause it to do this. It just really doesn't seem to want to run at it's proper speed. Any way to fix this? All input appreciated. Thanks.

-Pyro

EDIT: Sorry, vid is small, gotta zoom to see CPU speed.

More about : e6750 mind

November 17, 2007 5:57:47 AM

Disable EIST and C1E in the BIOS. It is a power savings option to reduce clock/voltage with no load.
November 17, 2007 5:58:41 AM

Oh gawd... :lol: 

Its normal. Speed Step is what does that. When it jumps theres a load on the CPU, when it returns to idle, it drops the multiplier and vcore to save power and reduce heat.
Related resources
November 17, 2007 6:00:03 AM

cnumartyr said:
Disable EIST and C1E in the BIOS. It is a power savings option to reduce clock/voltage with no load.

Not exactly understanding why you'd advise turning it off. Why?
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2007 6:14:53 AM

I just disabled Speed Step before this started happening, because even under load it would stay at 2 GHZ. So if I disable EIST and C1E it will fix it? What are the downsides of disabling these?

-Pyro
November 17, 2007 6:24:25 AM

Grimmy said:
Not exactly understanding why you'd advise turning it off. Why?

I was telling him how to fix what he thought was wrong. :kaola: 

Yes it is for power management.. there is no downside if you leave them enabled. It will just make your computer use more energy if you leave them on 24/7.
November 17, 2007 6:25:09 AM

In my opinion, there is no downside of leaving it on. Unless your having some stability problem in an OC CPU.

Disabling EIST and C1E will stop it from changing. The downside is you loose the ability to reduce heat when its not being really used. You do get a small power savings as well, but that really doesn't matter much.

Even when you do OC, as long as you test it, speed step can help reduce heat when its not being used. Although in the past I thought it was best to disable it when OC since going from 1.8ghz to 3ghz was quite a shift. In my mind, I thought the system would freeze. I read that it wasn't the case, and even tested it myself.

With my system (E4400) OC to 3ghz and idle at 1.8ghz, my idle temps are mostly like stock speeds (so it actually should be 1.2ghz idle, 2ghz normal speed).
November 17, 2007 6:26:43 AM

cnumartyr said:
I was telling him how to fix what he thought was wrong. :kaola: 

Yes it is for power management.. there is no downside if you leave them enabled. It will just make your computer use more energy if you leave them on 24/7.

:lol: 

There was nothing wrong to begin with. So there was nothing to fix. :p 
!