Removing random computers on network on computers and devices

biancam

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Hello,
please can someone help with vista home security 2012 virus! need to remove it but it stops me from running any software

biancam

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Actually this text was meant for the following post about vista home security 2012 virus with the constant pop ups.
may be related

i can see two names of computers on my network under computer and devices in the control panel.
I am using a wireless that is shared - but when have used wireless shared in the past - i have never previously seen any other pc's in this location.

The security has always been set with disabled sharing properties and only allowable permissions for myself as the administrator

Due to the fears accumulating regarding the "vista 2012 security" virus, i was deliberating whether i have been "hacked" by others using the same wireless connection.

this may be a very simple query to most of you (yes, female+designer=not super techy!) so I really do hope that it is something very straight-forwad that i have overlooked!
and h , - i have a Vista/Win&: 32bit operating system

hoping to hear from someone .

There is a virus removal guide in these forums. Any computer that is attached to the same wireless router as you will show up in the network, that's normal. You need to make sure you have a firewall and anti-virus running on your computer and that no-one on the shared wireless connection has questionable ethics and won't try to get into your computer.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/242796-44-simple-free-guide-removing-malware

biancam

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
cheers - thankyou - as i thought with a shared wireless - i reinstalled a new anti-virus and security
However i am finding that sometimes when i go to my start pull up menu to open a file and for example, select "i-tunes" a new window opens asking what program i would like to open it in with a drop down for 'recommended' and then the i-tunes icon -
it's as if something has been disabled to open any program directly?? Is this something to do with the a host file in "Local_Apps_rider" or something like that...as this changed after i followed instrucitons of removing the virus and then reloading the antivirus.
anyway, thankyou - no obligation to help second time round!
cheers