Upgrading CPU on Asus A7V8X

Troman

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Hi,
I'm considering getting a faster CPU, but since I have a rather outdated mobo and my budget is currently small I can't afford getting a new mobo, since that would mean I will also have to change RAM, Graphics Card (I have an AGP card now) and probably HD Drives (IDE Drives). So I was thinking of a way to get everything out of my A7v8x.

As this

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A7V8X

page shows the fastest CPU this mobo supports is Athlon XP 3000+. But I have heard that my board also supports mobile CPUs and that those can be overclocked easily.

What would be faster: an overclocked mobile CPU (as long as my system stays stable) or Athlon XP 3000+ ? What is the fastest mobile CPU A7v8x will support?

Thanks.

PS: manual of A7v8x says it supports FSB333.

EDIT: forgot to mention, currently I have Athlon XP 2400+ Thoroughbred.

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
If you can push the FSB over 333 then it would be worth it to get the mobile but if you cannot then just get the XP 3000+. BTW don't pay more than 25-40 dollars for the CPU as it is very dated and for around 80-100 you can have a much faster CPU and a newer board. If you got a board with onboard graphics then you could save some money up to get a grahics card. You won't necessarily have to get new RAM either. There are still socket 939 boards around and they fit your budget so give them a look if you can't get a good price on that CPU.

Any Nforce3 or Via k8t800 socket 754 or 939 with agp should be cheap on ebay I have seen A64 3000+ socket 939 go for 10 USD there. I think that would be a way bigger speed bump than upgrading with an athlon XP.