Sign in with
Your question

To Overclock or Underclock...That is the Question

Last response: in Memory
December 2, 2007 8:29:27 PM

Hmmm...I'm going to be grabbing one of the new Q9450's when they come out in January, and am going to be doing some overclocking. Given the 8x multiplier, I'm going to need to up the FSB to around 455ish to get the OC I want. Given this, should I:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Go with the above (DDR800; CAS 4), and *overclock* it to 455 (910),

~OR~

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Go with the above (DDR1000; CAS 5), and *underclock* it to 455 (910)?

These are both going for the exact same price. I obviously want to run a 1:1 ratio...
December 2, 2007 8:52:44 PM

Seems strange that they are selling for the same price.

Personally, the less things you OC the better. what will you do if you buy the DDR800 and it wont goto 910? then your stuffed. Stick with less unknowns, if you want the CPU at a certain OC then get RAM that you know will run at those speeds rather than getting another unknown and therefore another "breaking point" for your OC.
December 2, 2007 8:56:55 PM

chookman said:
Seems strange that they are selling for the same price.

Personally, the less things you OC the better. what will you do if you buy the DDR800 and it wont goto 910? then your stuffed. Stick with less unknowns, if you want the CPU at a certain OC then get RAM that you know will run at those speeds rather than getting another unknown and therefore another "breaking point" for your OC.

Totally agree!
Related resources
December 2, 2007 9:31:00 PM

get ddr1000 then change the settings in the bios to a 1:1 ratio
December 2, 2007 9:34:30 PM

I also agree to go with the 1000mhz ram you will run into less problems with the OC.

Best,

3Ball
December 2, 2007 10:26:24 PM

Question: The mobo I'm looking at, the DDR2 x38 by Gigabyte, says it is designed for DDR2 1066. Will this mobo operate with DDR2 1000?

DDR2 1066 is more expensive, and it looks like there is only one option for 2x2gig, and that is by a disreputable brand.
December 2, 2007 10:51:07 PM

I would agree with all the above posters if both rams had the same latency, seeing they do not I'd go with the 800 Mhz CAS4 and mildly overclockit to 455, seeing that I'm running my 667 Mhz ram at 860 Id say that level of OC should'n present any trouble at all, and you will probably achieve it at 2.0 v or less if you are lucky.
December 3, 2007 1:29:04 AM

SirCrono said:
I would agree with all the above posters if both rams had the same latency, seeing they do not I'd go with the 800 Mhz CAS4 and mildly overclockit to 455, seeing that I'm running my 667 Mhz ram at 860 Id say that level of OC should'n present any trouble at all, and you will probably achieve it at 2.0 v or less if you are lucky.

I wouldnt call ~15% overclock mild by any means.

You use the arguement of better timings, but wouldnt you have had to relax the timings on your 667mhz part to get it to 860mhz? In any case just because your "unknown" RAM can OC to ~30% doesnt mean someone elses can do ~15% by default.

OP stick with the G.Skill looks to be about the only highspeed 2x2gb around and its cheap. With this theres less unknowns in your OC so you should get where you want to be and do it easier.
December 3, 2007 1:55:32 AM

IMHO, ramz ive had DIDNT oc well... u have to boost voltage and loosen up the timings.
Id go faster ram and underclock... oh hang on... thats what im doing now :D 

Q6600 266x9 OC= 300x9 (2.7Ghz)
Ram: DDR2 800mhz UC=600mhz

Thats quite a big underclock, but i wasnt always using this CPU (ive been thru 3 this year) i ran dual cores with upto 400mhz fsb.

Once my water cooling is sorted, i'll run 350fsb/700mhz ram. I should also be able to use ram for the next upgrade (i hope)
December 3, 2007 2:20:23 AM

G.Skill or Patriot ram...look around on Google for reviews on overclocker sites.
Both of the above will do the same job as higher priced (over priced) Corsair/OCZ.
December 3, 2007 5:07:52 AM

SirCrono said:

Remember that the timings on memory do not mean as much on an Intel platform because of the FSB. If we were talking about an arch using an IMC then we would have a definite performance difference. In this case it is so mine I would go with the sure thing and just underclock the higher speed ram so is to have better stability overall.

Best,

3Ball
!