Sign in with
Your question

Seagate SATA 1.5gbps/3.0gbps Jumper Question

Last response: in Storage
July 19, 2008 1:45:56 PM

So I've only just realized that seagate hard drives have a jumper on them when they ship that limits the drive to only 1.5gbps SATA. Now I have a 3.0gbps capable motherboard (Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3) so I was wondering if after all this time running this installation of windows on this HDD if I remove that jumper will I run into problems that could cause me to have to format the HDD or should I be just fine removing it after all this time at 1.5?
July 19, 2008 2:26:37 PM

wrathloki said:
So I've only just realized that seagate hard drives have a jumper on them when they ship that limits the drive to only 1.5gbps SATA. Now I have a 3.0gbps capable motherboard (Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3) so I was wondering if after all this time running this installation of windows on this HDD if I remove that jumper will I run into problems that could cause me to have to format the HDD or should I be just fine removing it after all this time at 1.5?

no problem.
a c 342 G Storage
July 21, 2008 3:27:24 PM

Just remove the jumper, you'll have no problem. But don't expect a jump in HDD data access speed. Most systems can't use the 1.5 Gb/s peak capability, let alone twice that.
Related resources
July 21, 2008 5:23:10 PM

What kind of system could use 1.5mbps+?
July 21, 2008 7:58:08 PM

Its not a system limitation as much as it is the drive. There are currently no drives that can produce sustained speeds of 150MBs. I dont even think that any of the new SSDs go that fast yet. The only difference will be when your system is reading data from cache on the drive. So it really does not make much difference if you remove the jumper or leave it there.

The Seagate drives also come with SSC disabled too.
July 21, 2008 11:06:17 PM

rozar said:
There are currently no drives that can produce sustained speeds of 150MBs.

Well, no SATA drives.

Seagate Cheetah 15K.6 SAS. 171 MB/sec. :ouch:  :o 
July 22, 2008 1:45:35 PM

Very nice. I have not seen one of those yet. It might be time to trade in my 15k.4 drive.

Yeah I was talking about SATA and I know that drive does not have a link limiting jumper :-)
!