Sign in with
Your question

Any electricity risks w/ connecting drives that are outside the case?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Cases
  • Floppy Disk
  • Connection
  • Hard Drives
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 10, 2007 3:56:50 AM

Hi,

I'd like to briefly connect the IDE HDD and floppy from my old computer to the new one. (So I can copy some files to the new HDD, and use the floppy to update the bios.) It would be great if I didn't have to install them properly in the new case, only to remove them after I'd used them. So I was wondering if I could simply place the two computers next to each other and connect the drives to the new build, leaving them in the old case.

If this is hazardous, could I just place the drives somewhere outside the case, like on a piece of wood or cardboard or metal or something? (Or maybe on the floor of the case?)

And what precautions should I take / what are the risks?

Sorry for posting yet another weird power question. ;) 

More about : electricity risks connecting drives case

November 10, 2007 4:15:02 AM

Jonesy1499 said:
Hi,

I'd like to briefly connect the IDE HDD and floppy from my old computer to the new one. (So I can copy some files to the new HDD, and use the floppy to update the bios.) It would be great if I didn't have to install them properly in the new case, only to remove them after I'd used them. So I was wondering if I could simply place the two computers next to each other and connect the drives to the new build, leaving them in the old case.

If this is hazardous, could I just place the drives somewhere outside the case, like on a piece of wood or cardboard or metal or something? (Or maybe on the floor of the case?)

And what precautions should I take / what are the risks?

Sorry for posting yet another weird power question. ;) 

No issues with doing that, but I'd place them their backs, so to speak. Ie, circuit board up...

Just don't move your hdd too violently while its running... :) 
November 10, 2007 4:19:52 AM

No danger. I currently have two internal ide hard disks that i store data on that are sitting on top of the case. The only thing to worry about it not to knock the drive off of wherever it is. I did. While the computer was running :) 
Related resources
November 10, 2007 4:51:14 AM

Thanks guys.

Do you think it would be a bad idea to leave them inside the old computer, power wise? (Maybe there would be some "residue" power from the old comp's PSU or something, leading to short circuits and ESD and whatnot? Or maybe I'm just being paranoid, for a change.) ;) 

ComputerCustomizer said:
The only thing to worry about it not to knock the drive off of wherever it is. I did. While the computer was running :) 

Hehe. Did it survive? :) 
November 10, 2007 4:53:42 AM

That's not weird, if you saw what some people do...
November 10, 2007 5:06:12 AM

Jonesy1499 said:
Thanks guys.

Do you think it would be a bad idea to leave them inside the old computer, power wise? (Maybe there would be some "residue" power from the old comp's PSU or something, leading to short circuits and ESD and whatnot? Or maybe I'm just being paranoid, for a change.) ;) 

Hehe. Did it survive? :) 

Uh, do you mean connect them into the new comp from the old comp? I'd not like to try that for mostly mechanical reasons... Cables too short, cases in the way...

If you mean run up the old computer and then do your transfer, no issues as long as both have a good NIC port, but your transfer will be slower than if they are directly connected. Also, you may need a crossover cable to do a direct port to port transfer, older NIC's won't do auto-detect. Electrically, as long as they are on the same circuit, they will be at 0 potential difference. OK, + - a few tenths, to allow for power connectors... I'd guess that you'd need a four digit DVM to notice the difference.
November 10, 2007 8:28:38 AM

randomizer said:
That's not weird, if you saw what some people do...

You thinking about the guy who deep fried his computer? :) 

croc said:
Uh, do you mean connect them into the new comp from the old comp? I'd not like to try that for mostly mechanical reasons... Cables too short, cases in the way...

If you mean run up the old computer and then do your transfer, no issues as long as both have a good NIC port, but your transfer will be slower than if they are directly connected. Also, you may need a crossover cable to do a direct port to port transfer, older NIC's won't do auto-detect. Electrically, as long as they are on the same circuit, they will be at 0 potential difference. OK, + - a few tenths, to allow for power connectors... I'd guess that you'd need a four digit DVM to notice the difference.

I meant the first one. :) 

Thx for the rep.

Anybody have any views on whether it's safe, power (and other-)wise?

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
November 10, 2007 9:25:37 AM

When I go home on vacation, I connect a bare drive to the "home" computer and leave it lying in the bottom of the case until I am ready to leave.

Don't move it while it's running and don't drop metal objects on the drive's PCB.
!
hotels