Damage External Hard Drive (Help?)

marlabmarrs

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I Dropped my external drive, and now my PC (or any or other PC won't recognize it) When you turn it on.. it makes like a humming or siren sound. I've tried the freezer trick but it didn't work.
I also read it may be the fan... any ideas on how I can get my data back?

Sorry but Probably Not. You might try disassembling the enclosure and remove the HDD and try plugging it directly in to a computer as this would elieminate the enclosure electronics.

If it is the drive itself most likely the drive is beyoud user repair and it is very expensive to send off to recover data.

marlabmarrs

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
My brother-in-law plugged it directly into the computer... and it didn't work. =/
About how much would it cost to recover the data?
I also just read.. somewhere.. after it unfreezes it cause the heads to crash on the platters and can cause sector errors, and make the data unreadable.. if this did happen when it unfreezes...could it be harder for them to recover the data?

I can't answer about cost, but from what I've heard it can be very expensive like $300 and up. Did a quick google, you can take a look.

www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS278&q=Hard+disk+drive+recovery