1950 pro/agp strange problem

chef

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Hi, I assume this is the right forum?

My HIS X1950 pro (agp, 512mb) is acting up.

The problems started after reinstalling the system. I did not add any hardware (tried to add a hd, didn't work, see below), and I kept XP.

Before the reinstall the card was working as expected (light o/c, Oblivion for hours at a time, no temp issues whatsoever). Now it is working fine in 2d, but as soon as I start a 3d application (ok... game :) ), it shuts down. I have tried the following:

Omega Drivers 3d test (under the "overclock" menu item in the tray tool) : Sometimes finishes without crashing.
Omega Drivers benchmark : Dies after a few seconds
Neverwinter Nights. Dies at the main menu. Can click the "load" button sometimes. Seems like it tries to change display mode, stops, then dies.
Doom 3. Works for about a minute.

The temperatures seems normal (although ambient reads 40, core 35). I can lower "Ambient" a couple of degrees by manually setting the fan to max.

I have tried the following drivers:
Newest Omega Drivers
Newest ATI Drivers, 7.6 and 6.12

When reinstalling I vacuumed the case and heatsinks. I might have knocked something.
I also tried to install a WD 500gb HD (ripped from an external usb case). With that drive (jumpered to SATA 1) plugged in Strange Things happened, so I unplugged it.

My guesses are the following: PSU not happy, MB giving up, Drivers or DirectX version don't like AGP.

How can I test this?

/Jo

that is kinda funky.

the fact that the hdd didn't install hints at your motherboard. did you try the hdd in another computer?

things i'd do:

1. flash cmos
2. get bios upgrade/reflash bios with current version
3. uninstall gpu drivers and reinstall them. try a few more versions. make sure to uninstall them each time.
4. reinstall windows. blah.

those temps are for your GPU? do you have an aftermarket heatsink? that's pretty low. might be something there.

i had some radeon 9000's that like to freeze a while back...i took them out, left them out for a while, and put them back in and they'd be good for a few weeks. weird.

chef

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
The card is a HIS X1950Pro IceQ 3 Turbo. so the HS is supposed to be quite efficient. Don't know where the probes are located. The ambient temp should be lower (open case, scotland, november). I also assume the temp readings have been swapped somehow.

The HD works in its USB case. Don't know if its supposed to work without it, but I can't see why not.

I think I found the drivers from my old install, so I will try them tomorrow.

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005

This is unfortunately a widely reported error among x1950 Pro/GT AGP users. ATI in its infinite wisdom broke direct3D support for these cards in certain (read some, unrelated) configurations, and seem to be unable to fix it.. The last catalyst version that works for ppl seem to vary, for me its 7.6 (Palit X1950 GT 512). Haven't tried the 7.11's, but there is no mention about this problem in the release notes, so..

So, unfortunately you'll probably have to find the latest working drivers and stick with them for the time beeing.. It sucks, believe me, I know, but there isn't anything you or I can do.

//Stig