Sign in with
Your question

XP ReInstall - Caught in a Fatal Error Loop

Last response: in Windows XP
April 8, 2010 7:20:50 AM

I needed to reinstall XP Pro. My reinstall was going okay until a fatal error occurred. The hardware that caused the fatal error has been removed. The problem I'm having is that whenever I reboot and try to continue the installation, I get the fatal error message again (no details, just fatal error).

In a nutshell, I need to go back to where I was 24 hours ago: A poorly working version of XP that I can use to start setup.exe, and then let things proceed, the fatal error won't occur this time. But every time I reboot, I'm launched into this failed setup attempt. There must be a file or registry setting somewhere that's telling the setup program to continue where it left off. I need to find that file or setting and remove it.

So, what am I looking for?

PLEASE no reformat suggestions, I already know that's an option. But I'm still seeking a solution.

Thanks in advance
April 8, 2010 11:53:54 AM

AARRGGHHH said:
I needed to reinstall XP Pro. My reinstall was going okay until a fatal error occurred. The hardware that caused the fatal error has been removed. The problem I'm having is that whenever I reboot and try to continue the installation, I get the fatal error message again (no details, just fatal error).

In a nutshell, I need to go back to where I was 24 hours ago: A poorly working version of XP that I can use to start setup.exe, and then let things proceed, the fatal error won't occur this time. But every time I reboot, I'm launched into this failed setup attempt. There must be a file or registry setting somewhere that's telling the setup program to continue where it left off. I need to find that file or setting and remove it.

So, what am I looking for?

PLEASE no reformat suggestions, I already know that's an option. But I'm still seeking a solution.

Thanks in advance

Surely this can't be happening if you're using the bootable XP CD and are set in BIOS to boot from the CD ROM first. Are you missing the very short window in which you're prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD"?

April 8, 2010 2:54:33 PM

Try pulling your CMOS battery for ~5 minutes to reset the BIOS.

Related resources
April 26, 2010 6:38:37 AM

It was the CD Reader, in the early stages of crapping out. It was ingoring the "boot from CD" that the BIOS was sending. A couple days later, it stopped working completely.

I didn't even know that it was possible for a CD to ignore the boot command from the BIOS, and still be reading and writing and otherwise working.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Also, thank you for the lack of replies stating "1. Format C: 2. Reinstall Windows." Although the OS was trashed and needed a reinstall, the rest of the data on the drive was (and is) fine.
April 26, 2010 7:09:31 AM

AARRGGHHH said:

Also, thank you for the lack of replies stating "1. Format C: 2. Reinstall Windows." Although the OS was trashed and needed a reinstall, the rest of the data on the drive was (and is) fine.

[#0005ff]
You know you're in a decent Forum when you don't see last resort suggestions like that in any post earlier than #65. :D 

[/#000ff]
!