Sim City 4 won't work with GEforce 4 MX440

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Has anyone had this problem? It gives me the option to select it in the
configuration, but then switches back to software mode in the game. And if I
change it in-game, it says it has to restart the game, and when I do that it
still goes back to software. This is really annoying, because the game is
unacceptably slow in software once you have a large city. Can anyone help?

"Yann Ryan" <nospamwoowooyryanlmk@eircom.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone had this problem? It gives me the option to select it in the
> configuration, but then switches back to software mode in the game. And if
> I change it in-game, it says it has to restart the game, and when I do
> that it still goes back to software. This is really annoying, because the
> game is unacceptably slow in software once you have a large city. Can
> anyone help?

An update: I get an error message something like: "graphics rules
(graphics.sgr) cannot be parsed. Using in-built graphics rules"
Anyone else get this error message. It's really annoying!

Yann Ryan wrote:
> "Yann Ryan" <nospamwoowooyryanlmk@eircom.net> wrote in message
>> Has anyone had this problem? It gives me the option to select it in
>> the configuration, but then switches back to software mode in the
>> game. And if I change it in-game, it says it has to restart the
>> game, and when I do that it still goes back to software. This is
>> really annoying, because the game is unacceptably slow in software
>> once you have a large city. Can anyone help?
>
> An update: I get an error message something like: "graphics rules
> (graphics.sgr) cannot be parsed. Using in-built graphics rules"
> Anyone else get this error message. It's really annoying!

Get a new Graphics card, one without MX in it, if you can't afford one,
download the latest drivers for the one you have.

Yann Ryan wrote:
> Pentium 4 celeron 2.2ghz
> 256mb Ram

Your RAM is a bit low, another 256 should help and as I'm not sure what you
mean by 'software mode' then I can't realy suggest anything else.

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

By software mode I mean that in the in game options, it will only run in
'software mode'. I assume that this means that It's not using my Mx440 to
render the graphics, and rather using the processor to render everything,
which is why I think the thing is running so slow - it is unplayable in a
city over about 80,000 population.

"Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
> Yann Ryan wrote:
>> Pentium 4 celeron 2.2ghz
>> 256mb Ram
>
> Your RAM is a bit low, another 256 should help and as I'm not sure what
> you mean by 'software mode' then I can't realy suggest anything else.

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

The newest nVidia drivers are not so good for SC4. I use the 53.03 drivers
with mine. I also have the MX440 and it runs in hardware mode just fine. Any
drivers after the 53.03 have texturing problems on my card. I try all the
newest drivers, but always go back.

Duane
> Yann Ryan wrote:
>> "Yann Ryan" <nospamwoowooyryanlmk@eircom.net> wrote in message
>>> Has anyone had this problem? It gives me the option to select it in
>>> the configuration, but then switches back to software mode in the
>>> game. And if I change it in-game, it says it has to restart the
>>> game, and when I do that it still goes back to software. This is
>>> really annoying, because the game is unacceptably slow in software
>>> once you have a large city. Can anyone help?
>>
>> An update: I get an error message something like: "graphics rules
>> (graphics.sgr) cannot be parsed. Using in-built graphics rules"
>> Anyone else get this error message. It's really annoying!
>
> Get a new Graphics card, one without MX in it, if you can't afford one,
> download the latest drivers for the one you have.

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

How do I get those drivers? Is there a place on the internet to download old
drivers?

"Duane Morse" <Duane@computerroom.com> wrote in message
> The newest nVidia drivers are not so good for SC4. I use the 53.03 drivers
> with mine. I also have the MX440 and it runs in hardware mode just fine.
> Any drivers after the 53.03 have texturing problems on my card. I try all
> the newest drivers, but always go back.
>
> Duane
> "Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
>> Yann Ryan wrote:
>>> "Yann Ryan" <nospamwoowooyryanlmk@eircom.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> An update: I get an error message something like: "graphics rules
>>> (graphics.sgr) cannot be parsed. Using in-built graphics rules"
>>> Anyone else get this error message. It's really annoying!
>>
>> Get a new Graphics card, one without MX in it, if you can't afford one,
>> download the latest drivers for the one you have.

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

> How do I get those drivers? Is there a place on the internet to download
old
> drivers?

From the official site of the chip's maker - NVidia.

www.nvidia.com