Hard Drive not recognized by bios

Kev1507

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Hi,

I have just built a new system using the following components:

Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM
ASUS P5B-VM SE iG965 Socket 775 Socket onboard VGA 6 Channel Audio mATX motherboard
Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5(5-5-5-12)
Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) Retail Boxed Processor
Asus TA-881 Black/Silver Midi Case No PSU
Extra Value 550W Gold ATX Silent PSU with PFC and 12cm fan
+ an old IDE DVD-RW drive

however I am having problems with the hard drive not always being recognized by the bios. I have tried changing numerous bios settings and plugging the drive into a different sata connectoion to no avail. The drive will sometimes be recognized which has enabled me to boot and install windows but once the machine is switched off and rebooted the drive is not recognized by the bios again. On a couple of occasions when I have managed to boot in to Windows, the system has hung when trying to copy data onto the hard drive and when rebooting the drive is once again not recognized. Sometimes, disconnecting and reconnecting the sata cable and power cable will solve the problem but after a while the problem reoccurs. I have also tried disconnecting the ide dvd drive which has made no difference

Any ideas what may be the cause of this problem as I am completely stumped!!??

GenghisCunn

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
akhilles, that sounds right to me. So maybe you can answer another question? I installed a Samsung Sata2 HDD in my rebuild plus the original WD IDE HDD. The WD shows up, as three partitions, but nothing will open/run from that drive, unless I make it first drive in the BIOS, in which case nothing runs from the Samsung. I once got a message about the system not being configured to run the WD drive. Any ideas?