Quick case question

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Cases
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 10, 2007 1:23:28 PM

Hey, I'm planning on building a new system around Christmas time (maybe later depending on what I find out about the Nvidia 9000s) and I was planning on getting my new case now to experiment with a bit before I get all my new hardware. I was looking at the COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution RC-830 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) and I'm almost positive that I'm going with it, I just wanted to make sure that it would be compatible with virtually anything I wanted to put in it. If I could get some confirmation that it will fit the new motherboards that are coming out, that would be great.

More about : quick case question

November 10, 2007 2:42:00 PM

that's a nice case.... stranger
November 10, 2007 3:04:18 PM

The SOB better be able to fit new motherboards for fuggin $400. I can't imagine ever spending that much on a case.
Related resources
November 10, 2007 3:07:16 PM

hahah I'm actually going to be paying $319 after rebates, which is still pretty steep I know, but keep in mind it comes with a 1000 watt power supply
November 10, 2007 3:22:57 PM

True.
November 10, 2007 3:34:23 PM

Also check out the Antec P190. It's in the same price range and has everything to it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/site/flash_videos/antec_p19...

It also comes equipped with dual PSU's which will really be nice if you want to run 2x high end GPU's. You can keep each one on a separate PSU. It also has some really nice vibration/noise cancellation stuff on it.
November 10, 2007 4:51:51 PM

Oh great, my quick question isn't so quick anymore, you HAD to throw out that possibility :p  I'm not sure if I can justify paying even more money on my case, so I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the original choice. But back to the original question, it WILL be able to handle everything won't it?
November 10, 2007 7:01:02 PM

Yup.
November 10, 2007 7:07:11 PM

Only thing I didn't notice about the Cooler Master case is if it had any brackets for longer video cards like the 8800GTX. It seems Antec is putting them into all their cases. Even my cheap (relatively) Antec 900 has a bracket for the GTX cards. I think the Antec p190 has 2 brackets, but been a while. But if you end up going with 2x 8800GT's instead, it makes that point mute. My brother-in-law has one and it's the bomb. If you don't need a case right now, might wanna wait a coupla days to see if the p190 goes on sale somewhere. Otherwise $319 still looks like great value for the Cooler Master case!
November 10, 2007 7:19:56 PM

The case is nice but do you really want to spend that money on a case? If I were you I would spend it on a water cooled set up and a good but cheap case along with a good PSU (1kw is too much right now, imo). Well if you have the money to burn go ahead :-). I prefer modding my own case, looks soo much better and gets personal satisfaction, lol.
November 10, 2007 8:02:15 PM

lol my problem is that I'm going to be building the majority of this system while I'm home for Christmas break, once I head back to school in mid-January I won't have place/the time to be doing any major work on it. I was very tempted to try out watercooling on this machine, but I think it would turn into more work than I'll have time for during the semester. I'm more or less locked into relying on air-cooling and finished products.

Dealing with dantraman's point: Thanks for bringing that up, I hadn't considered that. Am I right in thinking that these brackets are just little devices used to support the weight of the card? Also, unless SLI configs start showing much bigger performance gains, this is probably going to stay a 1 card system.
November 11, 2007 12:29:03 AM

Crazymage said:
Dealing with dantraman's point: Thanks for bringing that up, I hadn't considered that. Am I right in thinking that these brackets are just little devices used to support the weight of the card? Also, unless SLI configs start showing much bigger performance gains, this is probably going to stay a 1 card system.

The bracket slides onto the back of the GTX cards and can't remember if it screws in or just push locks into part of the HD bay. It's just for safety and making the card sit more securely (over time) in the slot. The only bad thing about these brackets is if you use it, there's no room in that HD bay for a HD. But like I said, if you don't already have a GTX, just buy a GT (or 2) and those cards aren't long enough so they don't even need the brackets making the point mute.
November 11, 2007 1:29:40 AM

I say 'get it' it's a great case. I've been eyeing them up in a shop near me and they look quality. They are also real big! Don't know if newegg stock them but they also do a coolmaster NVIDEA case which is sprayed up black and green, looks sweet.
November 11, 2007 1:52:18 AM

Yea, I looked at that one, it's nice, but I think I prefer the original black

But anyways, thanks everyone, I plan on placing the order in the morning unless someone brings up a valid objection between now and then (don't hesitate to!)
November 11, 2007 2:19:29 AM

Can't go wrong with that case. I'm sure you'll love it when you get it!
!