Is it possible to set up a NAS on a drive in your PC?

Brocsta876

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I bought a MyBook World Edition about a year ago, and it's always been a pain. It worked fine for awhile, but once I installed Vista, everything went to hell. I could sometimes connect to it, sometimes not. It would work fine for a week, then crap out, etc. I finally got fed up with it and dismantled the whole thing and threw the 1TB drive in my own PC, since I needed the space anyway. As of now, I have an FTP server set up (my whole family uses the drive for movies, games, backup, etc.). It works ok, but you aren't able to watch movies directly from it like you could with the MyBook/Mionet. My question is am I able to have a similar set up like I did before when the MyBook was in one piece? I'd like to keep the drive IN my PC this time, though.

Brocsta876

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
The only problem with that is while my desktop is connected through a cable, pretty much everybody else is on Wifi, and for some reason it doesn't show up on their PCs. It works on anything wired, though.

royalcrown

Distinguished
that's because most wifi routers and such don't allow the wireless and wired clients to see each other on the network. My actiontec 701 wg has it built in as a "security" feature...it's pretty stupid I think.

Brocsta876

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Actually, forget what I just said. Every PC on the network (wifi and ethernet) can access it EXCEPT for my Vista Basic laptop... Vista Premium, Ultimate, and XP work fine.

royalcrown

Distinguished
well at least your wifi isn't segregated like mine...cool. I never use the wireless part anyhow, but it's stupid that it does that. probably your file permissions or some kinda permission then :) gl

Brocsta876

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Actually, I figured it out, heh. My Laptop and Desktop had the same name on the workgroup, so it was only letting one of them on at a time. I fixed everything and it works great.