Installing xp on dell optiplex 330

ssuunatitus

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Hello,i tried to install xp on a dell optiplex 330 and it keeps on giving me the blue screen. i installed xp on the hard disk using another computer and when i put the hardisk back in the dell, it refused to work and kept restarting. Does any one know if the dell optiplex 330 comes with its own special xp cd

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Aford10's solution will work for you, unless the solution lies in the reason you have to reload Windows XP in the first place.

If defective hardware caused your need to reload, then it can cause reinstall problems as well. If the slipstream CD install fails, post the detailed information from your Blue Screen Error.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I agree wholeheartedy Saga Lout. Installing XP on another computer and then transferring the hard disk back to another computer is apt to result in just what happened to ssuunatitus. The only luck I have had in performing that process is when a client's motherboard died and I could find either the exact same replacement board or sometimes even if I could get a motherboard with the same chipset. In this case the OP was trying to get around the BSOD occurring when trying to install directly on his troubled computer, so I don't think the restart loop necessarily relates directly back to the problem at hand.

It will be interesting to see how the slipstreamed CD solution works out, becuase the OP at least proved that the install issue isn't a physical problem with his Windows CD because at least he was able to install it onto that second computer.
The slipstream CD will prove out whether or not his problem is related to service pack requirements of his mainboard.

You can install windows on a hard drive, and then transfer it to another computer. The HAL.dll will most likely be different between the two PCs. However, a simple windows repair will fix that.

After the install, it's simply a blank windows install. As long as no chipset, graphics drivers, etc.. are installed in the original PC, it is a pretty simple process to move the hard drive to a different PC.

My guess, is the XP CD is SP1, and lacks SATA and PCI drivers. That's likely what caused the original BSOD. Slipstreaming SP2 or SP3 into the install disc, would remedy that issue.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

One stage further - copy the contents of c:\windows\system32\config as well - that's the entire contents of the Registry. After reinstalling, use that copy to overwrite the new bunch of files and save yourself a lot of reinstallation problems. Don't forget to copy the whole Programme Files folder as well, of course. I have done this several times with varyign degrees of success but make no guarantees whatsoever as to your outcome.

[/#000ff]

G

1. On start up (Dell logo), press F2 to enter BIOS

2. Expand the "Drives" section

3. Go to "SATA Operation"

4. Change this from "RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA"

Follow the above steps it would work fine.....

Thinesh

marbski

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
you can't transfer the HDD to other pc, because their might be a problem like the BSOD, if you format the HDD to the other PC and it goes well when you transfer it to other pc, some driver's are not loaded to the original pc you install in it..that can cause a blue screen, the hardwARE and the system not communicating well..