Still trying to dual boot 7 and XP.

stevedave

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I am using EasyDCB and when I start the PC I get the choice of Windows 7 or Windows XP. When I choose 7 it starts up but when I choose XP I get an error about repairing XP and it also mentions \NTLDR and 0xc000000f. I have looked this stuff up on google but not sure what it all is exactly. Both OS are on different hard drives. Also when I do use 7 I can still see and access the hard drive with XP on which I don't want to be able to do.

Solution
*sigh*

Misinformation sucks.

You have a couple of options:

1. You can start from scratch and load XP first, then Windows 7.

2. You can disconnect the Win 7 drive, then repair Windows XP on the other drive, reconnect the Win 7 drive and use your BIOS boot menu to select which drive to boot from. (This is usually accessed by pressing F12 during boot... sometimes F10).

The file systems are interchangable... they are both NTFS. Windows 7 does have a newer version of NTFS, but that doesn't mean each OS can't read the other's files. The bootloader however, is different. Windows 7's bootloader will recognize XP, but XP's bootloader will not recognize Windows 7. (which is why you load XP first when dual-booting).

As for hiding the...

[/b][/color]
Not so - one of my systems dual boots XP, Vista, W7 and OpenSuse 9.3. I'm not clear on why you don't want to be able to see the XP Partition when you're in W7. There's always the option of not looking. However, you need to look to see if the root of the XP drive has a file called NTLDR and another called NTDETECT. If they don't show up, go to windows\repair and copy them from there to the root.

[/b][/#000ff]

*sigh*

Misinformation sucks.

You have a couple of options:

1. You can start from scratch and load XP first, then Windows 7.

2. You can disconnect the Win 7 drive, then repair Windows XP on the other drive, reconnect the Win 7 drive and use your BIOS boot menu to select which drive to boot from. (This is usually accessed by pressing F12 during boot... sometimes F10).

The file systems are interchangable... they are both NTFS. Windows 7 does have a newer version of NTFS, but that doesn't mean each OS can't read the other's files. The bootloader however, is different. Windows 7's bootloader will recognize XP, but XP's bootloader will not recognize Windows 7. (which is why you load XP first when dual-booting).

As for hiding the OSes from each other... I'm not sure that is possible. Both drives will be NTFS... and as long as both drives are connected, they will be visible.

Solution

^ BINGO. We have a winner.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Nicolatesla has struck again. 3 times and you're out, nicola. And that's only in one week.

We just had a workshop on this last week, and the order does indeed matter, a peculiarity of Win 7. I had no such problem years ago with Win 98 and XP.

It's a winner if reinstalling two Operating Systems with all the fun that goes with it does it for you but "NTLDR is missing "means exactly what it says. Why not add to what I suggested before (if you didn't think it would work ;) ) looking into bcdedit to make sure it reflects the dual-booting required.

[/#000ff]