AMD delays Phenom 2.4 GHz due to TLB errata

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
AMD delays Phenom 2.4 GHz due to TLB errata

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/18/amd-delays-phenom-ghz-due-tlb

B2 rev K10 CPUs feature L3 cache miss flaw

By Theo Valich: Sunday, 18 November 2007, 5:29 PM

AMD WILL ONLY LAUNCH the Phenom 9500 and 9600. Even though the channel already got its hands on the Phenom 9700 (2.4 GHz) part, it will have to be pulled off from the shelves

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the BIG picture this is likely not a big deal.

In the short term, micropicture.. another black eye.

AMD has some serious Karma issues of late.. Talk about leaving the impression that they are the gang that can't shoot straight.

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
OMFG

What a train smash.

This errata stuff is BS speak for "our 2.4 GHZ yields are crap". You dont get different errata at different speed bins.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
"This problem was found during speed-binning the B2 revision processors, and this was the cause for the Phenom FX 3.0 GHz delay. It turns out that some CPUs running at 2.4 GHz or above in some benchmarking combinations, while all four cores are running at 100% load, can cause a system freeze."

I wonder what this means for overclocking... will you get random crashes even if the CPU is tested to be 'stable'?

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Why does the inquirer, of all places, have an inside track on this type of news? Does anyone else have difficulty in accepting the voracity of such news from such a source?

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Well the same group of people believed it when Inq reported Phenom can be easily overclocked to 3.0Ghz. :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

But to me, Inq is just a rumor source. Since the K8 days, Inq had always claimed to have inside source in AMD (reverse hyper-threading anyone?). Before other credible news sources report the same, I'll treat it like a rumor.

sailer

Splendid
There I was, hoping beyond hope that Phenom would be out and provide some good numbers, not expecting Phenom to be at the top, but at least close enough to worthwhile if the price was good. Sure, maybe the Inq has had its share of bad reporting, but a few other sites have not had much positive to say so far for Phenom.

Back in the hopeful department, perhaps AMD will get the problem straightened out quickly and the chips will ship before Christmas. If not, raise the glasses and toast to Intel for the holidays.

thematrixhazuneo

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2005
If you read the whole paper it states that it will be fixed with a BIOS update - similar to the microcode update that Intel had for their TLB errata. Oh noes doom gloom for AMD lol.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Actually, Inq stated that since AMD did not have built in Micro-code update like Intel, they have to pull everything from the shelf.

Even though the channel already got its hands on the Phenom 9700 (2.4 GHz) part, it will have to be pulled off from the shelves...

...However, unlike Intel, that has a micro-code update function in all of its CPUs, AMD is forced to delay the introduction of the part.

This likely means no more Phenom 9700 for this holiday season.

thematrixhazuneo

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2005
From AMD

"The Translation Lookaside Buffer (TLB) errata is an L3 protocol issue causing a system hang when running certain client workload applications independent of platform. AMD is immediately introducing an updated BIOS which will correct the TLB errata".

Either way, sucks that more bad news had to pile on....

sailer

Splendid

Wait until tomorrow and the stock market opens. Then, instead of an up day for AMD because of the chip line being introduced, there might be even more bad news because of this chip being recalled. I wonder if those new investors from overseas will feel like needing a drink of something strong.

sailer

Splendid
So you are willing to delay the obituary? I believe that AMD/ATI will survive, but will need some time to recover. Between the overseas investment AMD just received and the replacement of Ruiz, AMD may have some good days ahead of it. And none too soon, I might add.

Edit note: reply to Evilonigiri

sailer

Splendid

Ok, if AMD gets the 2.4 ghz chip out in Dec, then there's some hope. But the pricing seems a bit high to me if these chips are supposed to take on Intel's equivalent chips. At the moment, all we can do is wait and see how things play out. At least, that's my 2 cents worth.