Ok maybe I'm clueless or something. I am trying to get Windows Explore,
Outlook Express, and maybe Recycle Bin to show on the Quick Launch Tool Bar.
I deleted a couple of the shortcuts it had that I didn't want. I tried going
to where the file is for Win. Explorer and dragged it to the tool bar. I got
some sort of msg. that I couldnt move an open file. I just tried dragging
from the desktop. Nothing. What am I doing wrong? TIA

Hi,

Create shortcuts in this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Quick Launch

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Larry Mauriello" <larrym6833@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Ok maybe I'm clueless or something. I am trying to get Windows Explore,
> Outlook Express, and maybe Recycle Bin to show on the Quick Launch Tool
> Bar. I deleted a couple of the shortcuts it had that I didn't want. I
> tried going to where the file is for Win. Explorer and dragged it to the
> tool bar. I got some sort of msg. that I couldnt move an open file. I just
> tried dragging from the desktop. Nothing. What am I doing wrong? TIA

In addition to Rick's suggestion, you can drag an icon while holding the
right mouse button rather than the left. You'll then have the option to
copy, move or create a shortcut. Don't try to move a program to the quick
launch bar but create a shortcut to it.

PattyL

"Larry Mauriello" <larrym6833@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Ok maybe I'm clueless or something. I am trying to get Windows Explore,
> Outlook Express, and maybe Recycle Bin to show on the Quick Launch Tool
> Bar. I deleted a couple of the shortcuts it had that I didn't want. I
> tried going to where the file is for Win. Explorer and dragged it to the
> tool bar. I got some sort of msg. that I couldnt move an open file. I just
> tried dragging from the desktop. Nothing. What am I doing wrong? TIA

Patty, This is what I was tring to do. I even was looking for a Send To but
there was no option fo rQuick link. NOw I am going to see if I can find the
folder Rick mentioned.

"PattyL" <pattyl@XXmvps.org> wrote in message
> In addition to Rick's suggestion, you can drag an icon while holding the
> right mouse button rather than the left. You'll then have the option to
> copy, move or create a shortcut. Don't try to move a program to the quick
> launch bar but create a shortcut to it.
>
> PattyL
>
> "Larry Mauriello" <larrym6833@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Ok maybe I'm clueless or something. I am trying to get Windows Explore,
>> Outlook Express, and maybe Recycle Bin to show on the Quick Launch Tool
>> Bar. I deleted a couple of the shortcuts it had that I didn't want. I
>> tried going to where the file is for Win. Explorer and dragged it to the
>> tool bar. I got some sort of msg. that I couldnt move an open file. I
>> just tried dragging from the desktop. Nothing. What am I doing wrong?
>> TIA

Rick, After reading this, and Patty's suggestion I went back to my pc's
help. It is an HP so it looks like I don't have the same tree setup you
outlined. Anyway I reread the help tip and along w/Patty's tip I saw what I
missed. I did not uncheck Lock tool bar. Once I did that and actually made
room I was able to drag the shortcut there. Thanks to you both.

> Hi,
>
> Create shortcuts in this folder:
> C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Quick Launch
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Larry Mauriello" <larrym6833@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Ok maybe I'm clueless or something. I am trying to get Windows Explore,
>> Outlook Express, and maybe Recycle Bin to show on the Quick Launch Tool
>> Bar. I deleted a couple of the shortcuts it had that I didn't want. I
>> tried going to where the file is for Win. Explorer and dragged it to the
>> tool bar. I got some sort of msg. that I couldnt move an open file. I
>> just tried dragging from the desktop. Nothing. What am I doing wrong?
>> TIA

Hi,

Glad to hear you got it sorted. As to the folder tree layout, it's probably
because you are not set to see hidden and system folders (easily changed in
folder options on the view tab). The user profile layout is standard on any
home machine, though in a domain it may be altered.

--

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 03:45:47 GMT, Larry Mauriello wrote:

> Patty, This is what I was tring to do. I even was looking for a Send To but
> there was no option fo rQuick link. NOw I am going to see if I can find the
> folder Rick mentioned.

Larry, I've never been able to get that method to work. What does work for
me: Place a shortcut to the item on the desktop ("send to desktop as
shortcut" works well for this). Then drag and drop the newly created
desktop shortcut to the Quick Launch toolbar. The shortcut will be copied
to the toolbar. Once it's in place, I delete the desktop shortcut.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User