Sign in with
Your question

Vastly Different temperature's between cores on Q6600

Last response: in CPUs
November 18, 2007 6:10:47 PM

So, I just installed a new Q6600 GO stepping, and it seems to be reporting vastly different temps between the 4 cores in the new core temp 0.95.4 beta. I'm overclocked to 3.0ghz and at idle it reports core zero at 39 C, core one at 36 C, core two at 31 C, core 3 at 31 C. Sometimes the temperature difference between core zero and core four is as much as 10 degrees.

Because this didn't seem like it could be right, I took off the cooler (zalman 9700) and removed the thermal grease, reapplied, and reseated. Temps were a tiny bit cooler, but the temperature discrepancies remained. So, I reseated the cooler again, and it reports exactly the same.

At full load the highest my temps get is about 68 C on any core in Prime 95 or Orthos, so I'm not super worried about how high the temps are, but the fact that core zero hits 68 C under load and core three never gets above 60 C, is making core zero jealous.

So, should I try to reseat my cooler again, or is this temperature reporting difference just somewhat common on a Q6600, is it an error, or is it something else?

Any help is immensely appreciated.

My overall setup is: Asus Pk5-E wifi board, Q6600 processor OC to 3 Ghz, zalman 9700 cooler, DDR2 Crucial ballistix ram, Geforce 8800GT, Sata Raid Zero.
November 18, 2007 6:13:13 PM

It's pretty normal.

Its one of the quirks of Intel Quads.

Edit: If it really bothers you, you should RMA it. Mine are normally within 3-5C of each other at equal loads (unloaded/100% full load).
November 18, 2007 6:29:33 PM

cnumartyr said:
It's pretty normal.

Its one of the quirks of Intel Quads.

Edit: If it really bothers you, you should RMA it. Mine are normally within 3-5C of each other at equal loads (unloaded/100% full load).

I agree with cnu, it seems to be pretty standard for Q6600's for Cores 0 and 1 to have a different reading than Cores 2 and 3. What is a bit unusual in your case is that Core 0 is reading a bit higher than Core 1. Are you sure you don't have something running in the background on core 0 and causing it to read higher? You can try lapping, as it is possible the IHS is a bit concave and as a result the cooler isn't making good contact at some points, but that's a bit of a PITA. I wouldn't worry.
Related resources
November 18, 2007 7:10:31 PM

The temperature difference is normal for a quad core. With my Q6600 G0 they are also around 7°C spread. Maximums are 52°, 54°, 49°, 47° after 1-10 hours of prime.

You should try to optimize your voltage, perhaps they will be less apart.
Lapping helps a bit to (both the CPU and the heatsing but it will void your waranty).
November 19, 2007 1:15:45 AM

cb62fcni said:
What is a bit unusual in your case is that Core 0 is reading a bit higher than Core 1. Are you sure you don't have something running in the background on core 0 and causing it to read higher? You can try lapping, as it is possible the IHS is a bit concave and as a result the cooler isn't making good contact at some points, but that's a bit of a PITA. I wouldn't worry.

Word. There are a few middling processes in the background, but just things like nvidia settings, and my M-audio Delta control pannel. So, nothing significant is running. Core zero is always 2 or so degrees hotter than core one. And yeah, chances are small I'm going to be doing any lapping.

While I have people's attention, allow me to ask another question. While installing my Zalman 9700, the instructions told me to install the retention clip based on whether my motherboard's retention guide is vertical or horizontal. Well, I have no idea as to how to tell this, and couldn't find any useful info online. I finally just installed the clip in the same direction as the socket lever, which is horizontal. I've read on a few other boards where people asked this question, but never got a satisfactory answer. I've also seen threads where people tried both a horizontal and a vertical clip installation, and could not see any noticeable difference in temps either way.

So does anybody know how to tell if your retention guide on your motherboard is horizontal or vertical?
November 19, 2007 1:18:46 AM

whoops, double post.
November 19, 2007 2:35:47 AM

if its below 70c at max out put and 55-60c at most times do not sweat it. the cooling is not such an issue as the location of the probes

amd converts expect fast intel chips to run at slow amd temps

your temps are fine
November 19, 2007 2:38:49 AM

if want to lower your temps get rid of the stinky zalman cooler and get a good thermal right - you do not need the giant ultra120

most of the thermalrights will work well - the computer u just shipped ran 65c with an ultra-90 (92mm fan turning at 2500 rpm)slightly lower then yours but..... at load gaming and such it runs 40-55c at almost all times.

unless your run orthos for fun every day all week and every week of every month your chip will be fine and you can buy a nice upgrade in a few years for $100 on ebay - your temps are fine

this system not only ran cooler then yours its also clocked to 3.6ghz and 100% stable

i post the photo so you can see the cooling and see the temps:

it is in 900 case which has some of the best cooling around
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h138/4rothrocks/?acti...
!