Your question

It is offcial !

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Physx
Last response: in CPUs
November 18, 2007 6:21:18 PM

I found this on anandtech.com http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9687 Ruiz is out and Meyer is in. Has anyone heard that AMD wants to acquire PhysX ? I read that in Maximum PC. IMO a bad idea.

More about : offcial

a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 18, 2007 6:57:42 PM

Well according to a lot of people this may be a good thing.

As for AMD buying out PhysiX, if they are a bunch of idiots then they should go for it. But the state they are in right now would not allow them to go any further into debt without going bankrupt. They haven't even been able to break even.

I think this may be in response to Intel buying Havok Physics. But Intel did that to help them create physiscs that use cores on Quad+ core CPUs that go unused by the game.

If AMD is smart they would focus on getting Phenom out. Its already the 18th of November and they said it will be out. The C2QX9650 is already on shelves and for sale.

This is getting sad to me. They keep promising but they fail.
November 18, 2007 6:58:06 PM

If AMD wants to acquire PhysX it is because Intel has bought Havoc and they are afraid of what Intel will be able to do with them.

Not sure if the change at the top will help AMD. Hopefully, they are just in a rough patch until they can get to 32nm with the help of IBM. Who knows maybe AMD will never get back performance crowd, but I'd at least like to see them remain competitive in the $100-400 CPU market.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 18, 2007 7:07:23 PM

Already read the news and about all I can say is; "Its about time!". Ok, Ruiz had a contract that prevented him from being outright fired, but I think it will be best for AMD that he leaves. There is a very bad taste in the mouth from Ruiz, Richards, etc that needs to be cleansed. I hope the best for AMD.
November 18, 2007 8:20:42 PM

But Baron says Ruiz is doing a good job. AMD is only 2 billion in the hole this year. And their processors pass the Power On Self Test! I don't understand. Doesn't AMD know that their processors are "fast enough"? Ruiz has given the world so much! Why would they get rid of him? AMD was doing so well! Phenom has only been delayed like a year or something, that's good right?

NATIVE QUAD CORE. NATIVE. ANYTHING ELSE JUST ISN'T REAL. NATIVE!!!
November 18, 2007 8:52:28 PM

I suppose that Ruiz did well enough during the ascendacy of the 939. Problem is, he never left teh central ideas of that platform behind. The world changed, he did not, and AMD under him did not. If Phenom had come out within a month of C2D, than it might have been good enough, even with a couple delays over the inital teething. Instead, we go the 4x4, or QFX if you will. A half baked idea that might do better for baking a batch of cookies.

Since then, all we have done is wait, get lots of sales talk about how great the next chip line would be, delays upon delays, failure to supply the market when chips were finally produced (Barcelona), and failure in the basic chip design. Oh, did I leave out how last winter's prediction of 40% better turned into 10% worse, at least according to a few test benches that have appeared? Ok, they were done with engineering samples and not release chips, but they were overclocked to 3 ghz and they still lost, not the 2.2 ghz stuff that is getting released. In a different setting, I might question what Ruiz was smoking when he came up with the 40% better estimates.

You are correct, though. Phenom being delayed a year has been good, for Intel. In the meantime, I keep typing away at my AMD 939 platform, X2 4400+ powered computer. Wonder how much building a new computer with the latest and greatest cpu would cost? I don't have to wonder who makes that latest and greatest cpu.
November 18, 2007 9:07:36 PM

The company just received $668 million shot in the arm after Mubadala Development Company took over 8.1% of the company's shares last week. said:
The company just received $668 million shot in the arm after Mubadala Development Company took over 8.1% of the company's shares last week.

That is good news for AMD's current state of finances...maybe with that and the HD38xx series they could get close to breaking even this quarter.
November 18, 2007 9:09:49 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
But Baron says Ruiz is doing a good job. AMD is only 2 billion in the hole this year. And their processors pass the Power On Self Test! I don't understand. Doesn't AMD know that their processors are "fast enough"? Ruiz has given the world so much! Why would they get rid of him? AMD was doing so well! Phenom has only been delayed like a year or something, that's good right?

NATIVE QUAD CORE. NATIVE. ANYTHING ELSE JUST ISN'T REAL. NATIVE!!!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
That's about all I have to say to Baron. :p 
November 19, 2007 2:46:15 AM

mimart7 said:
I found this on anandtech.com http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9687 Ruiz is out and Meyer is in. Has anyone heard that AMD wants to acquire PhysX ? I read that in Maximum PC. IMO a bad idea.

Actually - it's not official, just more speculation based on recent moves in the upper managment at AMD. Until it's announced by AMD then it isn't official.

Don't get me wrong - I think he needs to go - he has done a wonderful job of running AMD into the ground, now they need to change.
November 19, 2007 2:57:03 AM

phys-x - amother dumb move by amd!

change heads at the top will not change amd's fall from grace - they are behind in technolgy and can not catch up.

intel took what amd did and rearchanged just like descontructing thanks giving dinner on the iron chef

the fact is while intel is pushing 4ghz qauds amd is still stuck at 3ghz
November 19, 2007 3:04:23 AM

mimart7 said:

It is most certainly not official. Did you bother to read the article, or any of the other threads on this very topic that quote that very article??

Apparently not:

Quote:
TheStreet.com now reports that sources are telling it that AMD CEO Hector Ruiz is possibly stepping down from his post. TheStreet.com’s unnamed source says that AMD President Dirk Meyer was appointed to the board last week and that plans for Meyer to take over the position of CEO for AMD has been in the works for some time.

For the source article @ The Street.com
Quote:
Speculation has been heightened by recent events, including the exit of investor relations head Mike Hasse, and the September departure of sales chief Henri Richard.

Last week, President Dirk Meyer was appointed to the company's board.

Add it all up, and some believe the signs point to a possible change at the top, with Ruiz stepping down, and Meyer taking over.

There is absolutely, positively, nothing "official" in here. It is, as stated in the source article itself, "speculation".
Learn to read
November 19, 2007 3:06:53 AM

dragonsprayer said:
the fact is while intel is pushing 4ghz qauds amd is still stuck at 3ghz

Yes, yes, and once upon a time AMD was stuck around 2 ghz while Intel was at 3 ghz. But AMD survived those times and for a brief period shined quite well. AMD might do it again, someday. I don't know when, but accidents do happen.
November 19, 2007 3:13:21 AM

sailer said:
Yes, yes, and once upon a time AMD was stuck around 2 ghz while Intel was at 3 ghz. But AMD survived those times and for a brief period shined quite well. AMD might do it again, someday. I don't know when, but accidents do happen.

this is now and that was then - intel is leaner and meaner and learned from the punishment amd gave them

intel has 4 year leap and amd has to overcome technology gap

hafnium gates "greatest discovery in 40 years"

the only thing amd has going for it is server side IT remember the intel domination
!