Sign in with
Your question

Why is my system only showing 2.75 gigs?

Last response: in Memory
December 3, 2007 11:28:29 AM

Hey Everybody --
For some reason, when I go under 'System', my computer is only showing 2.75 gigs of RAM. I currently have 4 x 1gig sticks of Patriot DDR2-800 Memory Installed in my system. They are model PDC22G6400LLK.

I have Windows XP Home Edition installed. I have an eVga 680i 122-CK-NF68-AR motherboard.

I know that windows xp can only handle up to around 3 gigs, so why is mine only showing 2.75? Does anyone have any suggestions?

More about : system showing gigs

December 3, 2007 11:37:48 AM

That's quite right. I've been saying that 4GB = 3GB in nvidia chipsets & 3.5GB in Intel chipsets. On mine, it's 3GB.

Only 64-bit os can use 4 gigs & more.
a b } Memory
December 3, 2007 12:26:52 PM

You have run into Chipset/OS limitations. There is only 4GB worth of address space in 32 bit Windows. Video memory is the largest single consumer, but even besides that there is a lot more than just RAM on your computer that needs addresses. Not giving RAM addresses merely results in it not being used. Not giving devices/connections the addresses they need results in inoperable devices and crashing operating systems. So your DIMMS are last in line and have to settle for whatever's left over at the address buffet. You need to change to a 64 bit OS in order to recognize all of your RAM.

Not a rant against the OP, but GOD we need a sticky for this topic. That and "Why is my (X9 multi...) processor only showing (X6 multi...)
Related resources
December 3, 2007 12:30:26 PM

we dont need a sticky, we need people to do a basic damn search before posting this question for the millionth time.
a b } Memory
December 3, 2007 12:45:11 PM

Valis: Please don't take this in a negative light, for my intentions are most certainly not aimed at besmirching your knowledge, intelligence, viewpoint or any other aspect of your real or online person(ality).

But:

valis said:
we dont need a sticky, we need people to do a basic damn search before posting this question for the millionth time.

BLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA HAAAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAH HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA Dude... Stop it.... You're killing me... BLAAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.... Can't.... breathe..... HAAAHAAHAHHAHA.... *gasp*
/passes out *THUMP*
December 3, 2007 12:59:15 PM

Quote:

aint it lol.... the 32 bit OS posts getting numerous now.... might need some "templates" in "post reply" lol....
a b } Memory
December 3, 2007 1:01:46 PM

Let me guess, you have two 8800 GTX cards. Each of them takes some of the 4 GB memory space for its video RAM. For example I have only one GTX card and see 3.25 GB. It's normal, don't worry. Upgrade to Vista Home Premium 64-bits some time (after they release SP1) or to XP Pro 64-bits and you'll be able to take advantage of the entire 4 GB.

December 3, 2007 1:04:15 PM

Scotteq said:
Valis: Please don't take this in a negative light, for my intentions are most certainly not aimed at besmirching your knowledge, intelligence, viewpoint or any other aspect of your real or online person(ality).

But:

BLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA HAAAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAH HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA Dude... Stop it.... You're killing me... BLAAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.... Can't.... breathe..... HAAAHAAHAHHAHA.... *gasp*
/passes out *THUMP*

That made my day , Thanx. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
December 3, 2007 1:07:48 PM

That was so helpful to the OP...Anyway.
December 3, 2007 1:48:45 PM

valis said:

Amen brother.
December 3, 2007 2:40:21 PM

"Let me guess, you have two 8800 GTX cards. Each of them takes some of the 4 GB memory space for its video RAM. For example I have only one GTX card and see 3.25 GB."

why does a non integrated gpu takes ram from your mobo ?
a b } Memory
December 3, 2007 2:47:57 PM

It doesn't "Take" ram from your Motherboard.

What it *does* do is use addresses. There are only 4GB worth of addresses in 32 bit Windows operating systems. This means that Windows can only "see" up to 4GB worth of 'stuff'. That 4 gig includes EVERYTHING that needs to be communicated with. This includes Video RAM- whether integrated or not. So if you are using a lot of things "other" than system memory, Windows runs out of addresses, and therefore cannot "see" the rest of your RAM. It's there if you look in the Bios, but the OS cannot use it.

This has been explained probably a thousand times on the boards here.
a b } Memory
December 3, 2007 3:08:42 PM

Thanks for explaining, Scotteq.

On second thought, I think the OP has two 8800 GTS 640MB cards. That would explain it properly:
4GB - 640MB*2 = (4096-1280) MB = 2816 MB = (2816/1024) GB = 2.75 GB

For someone with a single 8800 GTX: (4096-768)/1024=3.25 GB
December 4, 2007 3:16:47 PM

Hey Everybody -- Thanks for your help! I currently have a single 8800GTS 640mb installed.

When is sp1 due to be released?
!