Need to re-install XP on Sony VAIO VGN-FZ140E

morland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Need to re-install XP on Sony VAIO VGN-FZ140E

About 3 years back I bought this laptop and after going through a lot of ordeal was finally able to downgrade it from Vista to XP.

The laptop needs a fresh installation (too much garbage over the years).

I have the drivers somewhere and also have a floppy drive. I have also have found a few posts that I had made 3 years back but to be honest, now I do not recall any of the details (especially the steps) regarding how to do a fresh installation. I do remember that harddisk detection and finding the drivers was a big big problem.

Can someone kindly help and guide me regarding how to do a fresh installation on my laptop. I currently have XP Pro SP3 (32-bit) and prefer to have XP Pro SP3 (64-bit). Do not want to install Vista and have hardly used Windows 7 so I prefer to continue using the O/S and interface that I am familiar with. Besides, I have only 2 GB RAM and Windows 7 probably requires 4 GB. Anyway, that's probably a side issue.

I really tried to avoid this as long as I could but now the laptop really needs a fresh installation. BTW, I also have 3 partitions in total.

I know my post is probably lacking some more details and I will be glad to provide the same.

Will be thankful for your help.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hello Morland,

One of the experts here, aford10, recently posted a link to a very helpful step by step document that will lead you thru the XP install experience.

I am sure he won't mind me passing the link along to you as well. It is:

http://www.buildeasypc.com/sw/windows_xp.htm

If you have any questions about the process... before, after, or during, just post back here and someone will help you out.

Cheers!

morland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Thanks digitalprospecter. Part of the excellent (i repeat excellent) tutorial seems useful but it does not cover the specific issues related to the XP drivers for XP and for Sony VAIO VGN-FZ140E.

Appreciate your reply.