Need Help. Dumb n00b Question.

HEXEN

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
With the new AM2+'s coming out I just have one question: Will I be able to use Nvidia graphics cards on these boards, more importantly SLI them? All I'm seeing is "crossfire supported" which is Radeon based. If I get this board for example

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=8135170&oext=1038A&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8135170

Will I have to use ATI cards?

If so will there be any AM2+ boards coming out that support Nvidia SLI?

Dumb question I know, I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I just want to be sure. Any help would be appreciated.

SLI is an nVidia owned/copywrited technology: So for 'official' support you will have to wait for nVidia to either create a chipset that supports your choice of processor, or licence the technology to someone who will.

If you don't want to use hacked drivers off of the Internet - which may or may not exist, may or may not work well or even at all, and definitely won't have even the garbage that passes for "support" at most companies - then you will have to use ATI/Crossfire or a single nVidia card.

I think you'll be able to use four ATI 3870 cards, wow!!! If you use nVidia cards you won't be able to use SLI, but you can have up to 8 monitors, two for each card. Now if only they had a CPU that can keep up with this...

HEXEN

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Thanks for the info and quick responses. Much appreciated.

Does anyone know if any of the AM2+ boards will cater to Nvidia? Or are they all going to be ATI based for the "spider" platform?