x1900GT Locking Up

quatney

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I'm hoping that someone has come across my more specific issue. I've been searching for a week now to see anyone is having the same issue with a somewhat similar setup that I have.

When I start up any game I can only play it for 2 minutes before my system locks up. I've tried all sorts of drivers, but none of them seem to be doing the trick. I've read around at some people that thought their issues might be a problem with the card being too hot as well. I've pulled the side of the case off and stuck my Vornado fan on full blast in front of it. The card did cool down a lot (according to the Catalyst Temp monitor), but it didn't stop it from locking up. One person said that high heat means the card is not getting enough juice. The guy at Fry's said this PSU should be plenty enough to run my setup and this card.

I know this card did work with both Vista and XP at one time. I recently upgraded my PC (pretty much everything but the Video Card) and that's when all of this came about. Once I upgraded to the components below, I put Vista 32bit on here, but had problems. So I put XP on another drive and put nothing but the necessities to run games. That is where I am at now. Could this PSU not be enought given my Memory, MB, CPU, and Video Card? I'm at a loss and am at my breaking point. If there is any other information I can post to help determine the problem, please let me know.

Drivers I've tried:
Catalyst 7.10
Catalyst 7.8
Catalyst 6.10
OmegaDrivers Latest (I believe based off the 7.10)

Setup:
MB: Asus P5K Deluxe
CPU: Core 2 E6750 2.66GHz
PSU: Antec TP3-550
Memory: 2Gigs Patriot DDR2 PC6400 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220144
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1900GT

quatney

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
okay, found the setting, but I put it to 2.2v. The documentation that came with the memory says: "PC2-6400 800MHz 2GB kit (4-4-4-12), 2.2v"

Do I need to bump that down anyway?

Also, another issue that seems to have come back is the screen flickering. It'll go lock up, go black, then come back and work. Sometimes it'll keep going, others I have to reboot the comptuer.

quatney

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
It was just set to "Auto", not sure what the BIOS had exactly. I'll try running the game again and see what happens.

quatney

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Well crap, that didn't help the situation. BTW, I'm trying to play NWN2, I don't get past trying to create a character before it locks up. Any other suggestions?

Run Memtest86 and check for errors. You could also try one DIMM in slot one only. If the system continues to lock with one dimm, try the other. You could also bump up the NB voltage a notch. If you have other RAM,try it and see if the lock-ups cease. I assume you installed the chipset drivers from the MB CD.

quatney

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Yeah, I've tried those ideas as well. Not bumping up the NB voltage though, I'll try that.

I don't seem to get any other issues, even with several apps opened and running. The only time it's locking up is playing these games.