mcdreamy

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
3 computers. DSL.

1 connected to the modem
another next to it, connected w/ ethernet

3rd [the only good computer] is wirelessly connected down the hallway

In a cod1 server, I ping about 50-60 on the wireless computer, and on the 2nd computer that's connected to the 2nd port on the modem w/ ethernet, connected at the same time to the same server, it pings 70-90.
They both have the same configs [rate/maxpackets/snaps/etc.]

The ethernet computer isn't full of junk or anything.

Why is this, and what is there to do about it? I tried changing the ethernet cable and it's still the same. My main concern is b/c I've had wireless troubles lately and I figured I might just move the modem in here, cause it'd help out with gaming since the other computers are just dust collectors. However, I don't want to do that if the ping is going to be affected in a negative way.

I mean, it's quite a short ethernet cable, and I even tried a different cable. The statistics are shown in my modem configuration. I reset the device and then had both the computers connected, the one directly connected to port 1 and the one beside it, connected to port 2, and here's what they are currently, after running for almost an hour.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/DCE/ethstats.jpg

riser

Illustrious
The wireless has priority, everything else comes second, thus the wired connections have a higher latency while the wireless signal is handled.

That would be my general assumption.

DoMTaR

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Riser is most likely right.

It is either your routers QoS engine/ wireless priority OR you've got a degrading/degraded NIC in your desktop.