MB suggestions for e6850 processor please.

dj3642

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Hi all..

I really need some help here. I am getting a E6850 processor and want some suggestions from those who may have it in regards to good boards to use for this type of processor. .. I have always been partial to ASUS.. but I have not read a lot of good things on them. These days. Mostly about overheating. There used to be a site where you could go in and plug in a processor type and it would tell you boards that are compatible. But I cant finding that place anymore. So I am looking for some suggestions. I plan on using a GE force 8800GT card for this. I want to make sure I have at least one IDE connector for DVD drives etc.. I still am using Ultra DMA drives as well so maybe a mix of IDE / SATA connectors. Thanks for your help. :bounce:

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
if you dont want SLI and are on a bit of a budget id go with Asus P5K vanilla... if you want more features go with P5K-e... The Gigabyte GA-P35-DS** are also good

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
If you want SLI I would wait for the Nvidia 780i or 790i. If you don't need SLI I would look at either the P35 or X38 chipsets, the benefit of X38 is support for PCI-E 2 but considering the backward compatability with PCI-E 1 and the fact that no cards will fill up the bandwidth available with PCI-E 1 for several years the price premium really isn't worth it. How many IDE devices do you need/want to use? Most newer boards come with one IDE connector which allows you to use two devices. For a good inexpensive board I would go with what chookman suggested and get the Asus P5K or one of the Gigabyte P35 boards.

dj3642

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
thanks for the suggestions.. i actually was looking to stil have 2 ide connectors as i dont just want to toss out my old Hard drvies which are all ultra DMA.. seems such a waste. i mean i know i can use an external hard drive enclosure and stuff for USB connections. but i have about 4 good hard drives.. each about 300 gig plus..

dj3642

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
thanks for that last post. that really helps. hey and since i have alwys used AMD.. i heard that Intel has issues with certain types of memory or is it the boards themselves?? . i usually Use Corsair XMS. is that a problem or does Intel require specific brands??

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

That board has one IDE connector supporting 2 devices, he needs a board with 2 connectors supporting 4 devices. Adding a PCI connector will add $20 to the $200 for the board, the 650i boards are very good and have everything he needs for $100 less.