New gaming build. Help!

Calavera

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm planning on ordering a new gaming build this week from "newegg.com" and need your help to choose the correct parts since I don't quite know what I'm doing. I put a $2000 limit on myself to spend on this computer, so please pick the parts accordingly. I will be using this computer mainly for gaming and also for some (not much) 2D and 3D programs (gaming is my priority though). I want it to run all the new and soon-to-come games smoothly (I think I can manage that with $2000). As I said I'm not sure about most of the parts and don't have an actual list but here is what I'm thinking about:

I want an Intel CPU. I don't know if I should get a Core2Duo or a Quad (a fast duo or a slow quad?)

I set my mind about getting a 8800GT (if I can find a place which is not out of stock that is). I WILL get another one of these in the future and go for SLI (so please consider that when suggesting a certain motherboard, etc.), but I don't think I'll do that just now (when the prices drop). Getting a GTS or a GTX is insane after seeing the price...

I want to get 2 HDs for Raid 0. Any fast and reliable ones that I might want to buy? 300-500gb is enough.

As for the monitor, the 22" Samsung 226BW looks really nice. Have other suggestions??

The rest I don't really know about. Can you guys make me a quick build while taking what I wrote about in consideration please? Oh and please include the DVD burner, tower and PSU (also keyboard and mouse if you have suggestions for those). I really want to order this whenever newegg stocks some GTs...

Thanks!

Calavera

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I'm particularly having problem choosing a mobo atm. I looked at ASUS Striker Extreme and some EVGA 680i, they both seem to have different problems.

Also should I get 2gb or 4gb of ram? Wont be doing much OC, maybe on the VGA.