Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • ATI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2007 6:09:31 PM

Hello everyone,

I feel that it is now the time to upgrade from my ATI Radeon HD 2900XT and switch to a card that can handle more games even better. My 2900XT is a great card, but there are just too many hiccups and problems with drivers.

My budget is around $530 so I have narrowed my choices down to these three cards. (Keep in mind that I need something that can deal with Crysis pretty well).

1st Choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2nd Choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3rd Choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If anyone thinks I can find a better deal or a better card, please submit your opinion, I deeply want to make the correct choice here.

More about : selling ati buying nvidia

November 19, 2007 6:30:36 PM

None of them, if you going for nvidia, take 2 x 8800GT and smoke the cards you linked to oblivion ;) 
November 19, 2007 7:18:06 PM

Yep, two 8800 GTs would be preferable to a single GTX or Ultra.
Related resources
November 19, 2007 7:26:13 PM

Ok, and it will run well with crysis, even with vista? Also, I've never set up dual graphics cards, is it difficult?
November 19, 2007 7:59:02 PM

Ok I just really want to make sure. Does anyone have game play footage on Crysis with this card?

Also, what are the 2 best 8800GT's I can get?
November 19, 2007 8:28:57 PM

2 8800GT is better than 1 8800GTX. But for 2 8800GT, you need to have a motherboard which is SLI capable

Mine isn't :cry: 

You gave link to 8600GT , but we are saying 8800GT

they are in high demand, so might take a few tries to find any in stock.
don't make the mistake to get 2 8600GT. BAD BAD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 19, 2007 8:55:07 PM

$530 is just too much to spend on technology that is already one year old. I'm sure Nvidia will soon bring out a flagship model in that price range that will at least double the performance of a 8800gtx. They have had a year to develop it, without having to rush it. If you look at the 8800gt, it's a good card, buy you can definitely tell they are holding alot of technology back.

IMO, not worth the price just to get a small-moderate performance increase over a 2900xt.

November 19, 2007 9:03:05 PM

Ok but will my board work with SLI?

November 19, 2007 9:12:18 PM

no that board does not have any sli support
November 19, 2007 9:17:23 PM

Don't do it! Nvidia/Intel = the dark side
November 19, 2007 9:24:10 PM

But I have 2 slots to put both cards in so why can't I just both both cards in the slots and then link them? I also have a juice box to support more power. And why does Nvidia/intel= dark side? Does that mean if I bought a GTX then it still wouldn't be compatible?
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2007 9:44:01 PM

For now no.

That board is Crossfire only, not SLi.

If you were looking for similar performance then the 2 x HD3870 would be the main option, with the potential for maybe a 3rd board later with Asynchronous Xfire.

No my cup of tea but those are the options for that board.

Currently I wouldn't buy a GF8800GTX or GF8800Ultra, so IMO your options are a single GF8800GT for now and then add another when/if you get an SLi MoBo, or else go with 2 HD3870 for now and then potentially add a 3rd later.

But if your issue with the HD2900 were drivers (no one asked you to elaborate but, whatever) then SLi and Xfire are not a step in the easier drivers direction.

For now SLi and Xfire in Crysis are limited but a patchi is pending (or may have just arrived, don't have time to play it yet).
November 19, 2007 10:17:23 PM

Just wait.
November 19, 2007 10:33:26 PM

So what are you saying I should exactly do right now?
November 19, 2007 10:59:49 PM

GT!!!!
November 19, 2007 11:09:46 PM

Ok, so I'll get a 8800GT and possibly upgrade to an SLI compatible mobo in the future, but will the 8800GT run better then the 2900XT, and how will it look on crysis. (I'm talking about only installing one because of my mobo).
November 20, 2007 12:01:08 AM

What is the point of upgrading now? There isn't.
November 20, 2007 12:06:11 AM

Well when should I upgrade then?
November 20, 2007 12:20:42 AM

when next gen comes out its close
8800gtx 128 sp probably your best bet by the time christmas comes around
November 20, 2007 12:21:37 AM

zman4700 said:
Ok, so I'll get a 8800GT and possibly upgrade to an SLI compatible mobo in the future, but will the 8800GT run better then the 2900XT, and how will it look on crysis. (I'm talking about only installing one because of my mobo).

Get dual 3870s and still beat a GTX and if you want to know what each card will look like on Crysis
http://iax-tech.com/video/3870/38704.htm
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2007 12:43:16 AM

zman4700 said:
Well when should I upgrade then?

I have to agree with Nuk.

Unless you get the money that it costs you to buy the GF8800GT from selling the HD2900XT, then it doesn't make much sense for such a small upgrade. Of course if these driver issues are huge (would be nice if elaborated *cough* *cough*), then of course selling the HD2900XT for anything and buying a GF8800GT would be a good strategy, however realistically, the quality of game play differences between the HD2900XT and GF8800GT is not huge, at least no more so than the difference between the GF8800GT and 2 HD3850 in Xfire.

So really I agree with Nuk, wait for something better to come along early to mid next year, those solutions should really give you some majorly improve features and performance together.

But if you really want to upgrade from the HD2900XT, I'd say your best bet is to roll the dice and seee if the fabled 128SP G92 does see the light of day this year or not and what it's price is.

The GF8800GT is a GREAT new buy, but isn't all that compelling IMO as an upgrade option, at least not at current availability/price, unless it's close to a free swap.
November 20, 2007 1:34:12 AM

are you using vista? if you are SLI is out of the question even if you replaced the motherboard, Vista+SLI=@!%#!@%#@%#%@, the easiest thing to do is get the MSI or XFX GTX you listed, it will run Crysis easily as long as you dont max it out
November 20, 2007 3:42:40 AM

Well this kinda sucks. This 2900XT is not doing me a lot of good right now at all. Games just don't look good.
November 20, 2007 8:26:49 AM

zman4700 said:
Hello everyone,

I feel that it is now the time to upgrade from my ATI Radeon HD 2900XT and switch to a card that can handle more games even better. My 2900XT is a great card, but there are just too many hiccups and problems with drivers.

My budget is around $530 so I have narrowed my choices down to these three cards. (Keep in mind that I need something that can deal with Crysis pretty well).

If anyone thinks I can find a better deal or a better card, please submit your opinion, I deeply want to make the correct choice here.

Mate somebody before me was right here, the GTX is a year old, you should hold off until the new nVidia high end coms out. Otherwise, strange as it sounds, your buying old hat technology for a very high price. See what comes out in December. Your not exactly struggling for performance until next month are you.
November 20, 2007 8:28:50 AM

zman4700 said:
Well this kinda sucks. This 2900XT is not doing me a lot of good right now at all. Games just don't look good.

Which games are you talking about? have you tried tweakguides.com?

just curious thats all.
November 20, 2007 12:49:13 PM

zman4700 said:

If the 2900XT doesn't look good, then nothing will be a viable upgrade for you. If anything, radeon IQ has been better than nvidias. Allthough this also depends on the ways in which nvidia tries to increase performance in certain driver releases.

If you want faster, go with 2* 3800.
Anything but this option will either be too expensive or not actually add any performance, or both.
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2007 4:41:12 PM

zman4700 said:

Dude ELABORATE !!

I don't know if the subtle proding wasn't good enough, but your saying the 2900XT 'doesn't look good' means to me it's a user issue, especially if the user won't get specific.
November 20, 2007 5:14:33 PM

I think is pretty obvious why he isint going into detail. Just give him some rope Ape and see what he will say.
November 20, 2007 9:12:34 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Dude ELABORATE !!

I don't know if the subtle proding wasn't good enough, but your saying the 2900XT 'doesn't look good' means to me it's a user issue, especially if the user won't get specific.

(homer voice) "mmmmm.... subtle proding" lol. Sorry couldnt resist.
November 21, 2007 5:51:25 PM

Its like i thought. I doubt he even has a 2900. From the start, it sounded like he was a fanboy. I just hope ATI can come up with something close to what the 92's would be( if they ever come). Maybe the Arabs money can do some good for AMD
November 22, 2007 12:36:21 AM

The local guys here have 4 G92 GeForce 8800GT 512MB cards here .... thanks to a buddy working at the local best buy and shelving them for us . But .... with the lousey weak/slow fan and crappy shroud they're running HOT ! Putting them under heavy load on Crysis heats those boys up quick ! Why did nvidia skimp and put a 50 cent fan and cooling system on this card ???? The couple 3870's are cool as the devil . Wish we could get the other 3870's before turkey day to really test . Luckily the instant notify at newegg gave us first grabs on 3870's before they were listed on the main site as available ! I've found from past experience overdriving a lousey fan with a program causes it to fail premature and suddenly and you don't know it until your GPU is damaged . That's what convinced me to get the 3870 and wait for next gen drivers which ATI is famous for always updating and then crossfire em on my crossfire board . I hate hot ... locked up video in the middle of my gameplay !!!!!
November 22, 2007 12:57:01 AM

This thread was a joke right.....?
November 22, 2007 1:09:16 AM

starcraftfanatic is talking bullshit.
I have vista with 2 8800GTX's working in SLI faultlessly.
There's a lot of good reasons to criticize vista but saying that SLI doesn't work well under vista is just ATI fanboism ****.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2007 1:21:03 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Dude ELABORATE !!

Maybe he should just turn the graphics up?
November 23, 2007 9:25:58 AM

wait, just out of curiosity, when did the 8800GT come out?
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2007 10:16:28 AM

zman4700 said:
wait, just out of curiosity, when did the 8800GT come out?
Why should anyone answer you? Youve been asked three questions from 4 different people and still dont respond. If all you want to do is talk nVidia thats fine. If you want to find out why youre ATI card is failing you so miserably, then explain whats wrong with it, so others here can help you with what you have, so you can save all this money til something comes out thats actually worth upgrading to
November 23, 2007 10:37:04 AM

umm i'd like to see those 3 questions if they were there.

Anyways, when that new card does come out, it probably won't be for another 3-4 months and it will cost way too much money. So why wait 3-4 months for something that I can't afford and probably won't be that much better than dual SLI 8800GT's.
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2007 10:49:38 AM

zman4700 said:
umm i'd like to see those 3 questions if they were there.

Anyways, when that new card does come out, it probably won't be for another 3-4 months and it will cost way too much money. So why wait 3-4 months for something that I can't afford and probably won't be that much better than dual SLI 8800GT's.

No.1 from GGA Zman4700 wrote :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dude ELABORATE !!

No.2 Zman4700 wrote :

If the 2900XT doesn't look good, then nothing will be a viable upgrade for you. If anything, radeon IQ has been better than nvidias. Allthough this also depends on the ways in which nvidia tries to increase performance in certain driver releases.

If you want faster, go with 2* 3800.
Anything but this option will either be too expensive or not actually add any performance, or both.
From jakc. And finally No.3 from spoonboy Zman4700 wrote :

Which games are you talking about? have you tried tweakguides.com?

just curious thats all.

with a lil advice.
November 23, 2007 10:57:02 AM

nice work. I be you bet quite some time on scouting out all of those questions. Too bad the 2nd one isn't a question :) 

Nice try though.
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2007 11:05:50 AM

OK, this was GGA's response when he asked and you still didnt/havnt responded. Im just pointing out you had three very capable people to help you with your CURRENT situation, one, which by the way was said earlier, that is a very good one. Your 530 dollars spent wont make you happy, but making your current situation better and saving your money til something truly superior than you have now just might. Dont ignore good advice or great help if its offered to you, could save you money/time/headache. We are here to help. You have the third best card made. Going upgrade from where youre at wont be cheap, or without headaches, going sli for instance. Improving with what you have currently to me as well as others seems to be a great option, one you should entertain, and thats what weve been trying to tell you
November 23, 2007 11:12:40 AM

I don't get how I can make my computer graphics perform any better. I've already overclocked my processor, bought a dedicated power supply off the internet to overclock my HD2900XT, rapidly check for hotfixes and new drivers, and games still look like ****. By games I mean like lost planet, Dirt, crysis, ect.

How can I possibly improve anymore?

(if you know how to make it look as well as it does with a 8800GT on crysis, I would gladly take your advice).
November 23, 2007 11:14:52 AM

there is no video card worthy of $500+ at the moment, so dont throw your money away for ****.
November 23, 2007 11:18:40 AM

Blackra1n said:
Get dual 3870s and still beat a GTX and if you want to know what each card will look like on Crysis
http://iax-tech.com/video/3870/38704.htm

I found these images to be quite an interesting comparison. Does the fact that the 3870 image was clearly taken
closer to the ground account for the difference in picture clarity? I notice that the capture taken with the
8800GT is taken from farther up in the air; more real estate and less clarity. While I could see a slight difference
in quality one way or the other, these particular images are anything but subtle.

And yes, my question is a serious one. I am not issuing forth a mating call for fanatical leg humpers.
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2007 11:22:11 AM

Go here http://www.tweakguides.com/ This will help you with Crysis, and give some ideas as to how to improve gameplay/graphics without actually losing the things that make such games look great. Tweak em for better performance. Balance the demand with the card you have, without sacrificing the things you cant go without. When it comes to muti cards, the drivers get harder to deal with. Work not as good for the money, and dont work or either performance suffers greatly using a sli/crossfire setup. At this time 1 card is the best way to go while gaming at mid to small resolutions. Only people gaming at high res go sli/cf just to fill pixel rate. Unless you have money to burn, then its a expensive proposition as well
November 23, 2007 11:43:19 AM

zman4700 said:
Hello everyone,

You could just get 2 3850's for about $200 less and in CF they match the 8800GTX. If you would have gotten 2 3870's they would have destroyed the 8800GTX and this setup is more future proof as its DX10.1.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3151&p=10
November 23, 2007 11:44:11 AM

zman4700 said:
Hello everyone,

You could just get 2 3850's for about $200 less and in CF they match the 8800GTX. If you would have gotten 2 3870's they would have destroyed the 8800GTX and this setup is more future proof as its DX10.1.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3151&p=10
November 23, 2007 11:44:38 AM

?
November 23, 2007 5:51:49 PM

What is.. "graphics dont look good". Good or bad is subjective....

Really need to be more descriptive on "what's wrong" or else you are spending money on fixing something that wasnt even the problem in the first place.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!