XFX alpha dog edition 8800GT

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
my question is, will the removal of the stock Heatsink will void my warrenty? i would like to know, since i inted to change it with after market cooler, n i intend to overclock it to some extend.

for the extra info im living in malaysia (if it matters).

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I though XFX covered OC'ing in their warranty.

Quick google search turned this up from the XFX website:

Source: http://www.xfxforce.com/web/support/showWarranty.jspa?regionId=1&productGenerationId=730964
Here%u2019s the deal: We will repair and service your 6, 7, and 8 Series Graphics Card for as long
as you live. Even for those of you who know how to push our cards to the limits, if anything goes wrong, we%u2019ll service it free of charge. All you have to do is register the card with us online. If you ever decide to sell or give the card away to someone, we%u2019ll still honor the protection plan for the second owner as well. They just need to register the card with us. You get the protection AND the added value of being able to pass along a full warranty.

You'll have to register your card within 30 days of it's purchase and I imagine that if you just reattach the retail HS, before you send it in, you'll be fine. Although, I don't see anything that says you can't put an aftermarket HS on it.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
^thanks, i knew there is something like what u explained, i just needed the clear red line.

went throught the details, at the end it is stated clearly

"This exclusive program is valid only to purchases made in North America (USA or Canada)."

n im in malaysia/ asia. so it seems this im not under this warrenty. so here is my modified question.

if i changed my heatsink fan. but INCASE i had to return the card, i put back the original heatsink fan. will i be inside the warrenty, or i have voided it.?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Yeah, I failed to see the Asia part - http://www.xfxforce.com/web/support/showWarranty.jspa?regionId=4&productGenerationId=730964

Looks like their warrant isn't as good. It's also really hard to actually read because of the lawyer way they write everything out. Here through although it may be known damages caused hitherto shall not be aforementioned... lol, I hate when crap is written out like that.

if i changed my heatsink fan. but INCASE i had to return the card, i put back the original heatsink fan. will i be inside the warrenty, or i have voided it.?
Depends how discrete you are in removing / reapplying the original heatsink. As long as you don't break any "Warranty Void if Removed" stickers, you should be ok. Also, not tearing up or leaving any physical evidence of the original HS being tampered with is a plus.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
^yeah, i thought so. well i will be careful in doing so. i got ur tips which i actually had it in mind before this. but thanks for reminding me.

seems i wont be getting any nice warrenty. lol