Sign in with
Your question

TV-out for a laptop w/o tv-out

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2007 7:02:46 PM

Is it possible to get tv-out on a laptop which doesn't have tv-out originally? Is there some hardware you can buy to make it possible?
I hope I posted it in the right subsection.

More about : laptop

November 20, 2007 9:46:10 AM

How do I see which outputs the laptop have?
Related resources
November 20, 2007 4:36:35 PM

Look on outside.

But that converted supports USB and VGA.

But the main thing you need to know is whether you have DVI or VGA connectors.

Check the outside or the manual, and from there then you can pick a converter.
November 20, 2007 5:10:29 PM

many laptops also have an svideo port (its been a long time since i have seen one without). likewise many TVs support svideo in.

If both of yours support svideo, then all you need is a cable.

If you dont have that... then that adapter shown above looks like a good option for you!!!
November 20, 2007 7:06:58 PM

The laptop has a output like that picture and it has an S next to it. So what cable do I then need?
November 20, 2007 9:17:07 PM

radio shack, target, walmart... check there for that cable.
November 21, 2007 7:22:08 PM

The tv only has a scart stick and 3 holes (white, red and yellow). What can I do about that?
November 22, 2007 4:07:19 PM

You can get an Svideo - to - composite adapter. I have one in my bag of tricks, cost me $2 at a computer store.

Seeing as you have a 'scart' connection I'm assuming you're in Europe and thus no RadioShacks ('m guessing). This is what you need to look for, and most stores like DABs etc shoud have one version;

You could also use a Female to Female version and hook an S-video cable from the laptop to the FF, or get a long cable that's male - female like the above, or even an uninterupted male - male cable.
November 25, 2007 4:17:24 PM

I can't seem to find an an Svideo - to - composite adapter, so I have to use an S-video cable and a Female to Female cable. Which brand of S-video cable should I buy? Are there any difference in the quality?
And yes, I'm European.
!