Dead PSU, could anything else have died with it?

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Yesterday my PSU died while I was gaming. I came to this conclusion from the idea on these forums which lead me to test it on another machine. The results were conclusive that it is dead. I am going to pick up a 520w Corsair PSU today, but I was wondering: what are the chances that something else died with it? It was not failure do to a surge (at least, not a large surge) because no lights dimmed (except for mine) and the computer downstairs didn't turn off. So this leads me to believe that the PSU died of it's own accord, but could that cause damage to the other components at all?

That depends on a few things. The manner in which it failed plays an important role. If it was catastrophic (loud pops, smoke, fire etc) then it could have very easily taken nearly anything/everything. The other important determining factor is what quality of PSU it was to begin with. More expensive/respected brands have some form of overvoltage protection on their outputs. Cheap supplies don't, or are of poor quality.

I wish you luck.

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Good news, everything is fine. Just installed my new Corsair HX 520w PSU. All is well. My old PSU was an Antec Truepower 2.0 650w PSU. So it was a pretty good one that died.