What benchmark do I need to look at for my needs?

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
I have what many may consider a dumb question. I do work in AutoCAD to make digital terrain models. Some of the files have huge amounts of linework and I have to generate at model based on that. I also do comparisons of the models to determine the amount of soil that has to be moved to get a job done. With all of that in mind, what benchmark would be the best to look at to determine what processor is faster at that type of computation? Would a cpu that is fast at making PDF files, but slower in winrar be better for me? Is the kilo node one the best to look at for this? Just curious if anyone has any knowledge on that because I would like to build a new workstation and have my purchase based on the best possible (relevant) data. Thanks

tlmck

Distinguished
A quadcore CPU would be the best bet, and the best value in those right now is the Q6600. It used to be a workstation graphics card was also a good idea, but lately I've read that a high end gaming card works just as well. You might read this Tom's article on the newer workstation cards to see if it would work for you. http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/09/workstation_shootout/

The other thing that helps is a 64 bit OS and lots of ram. As I understand it, AutoCad still does not do real well on Vista 64 bit. It does do well on XP 64. And with less "overhead", XP will leave more clock cycles for rendering.

4gb ram would be a good starting point, 8gb would be better. You do not need the high performance stuff either. The value series DDR2 667 from Corsair or Kingston would work fine.

Like the avatar by the way.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks for getting back to me. I like the Avatar too. :) I got the 64 bit XP before they quite selling it. I knew I needed that because AC 2008 uses the 64 bit and the multi core too. I was just curious if there was any of the benchmarks that held more relevance to me then others. That way I can compare cpu's coming up early next year.