Opteron 185 & MSI K8N Neo4 F (ms7125) non ultra

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Has anyone on the forum attempted to use this cpu on the MSI K8N NeoF (ms7125) non ultra? My current bios (latest) 1D. I'd love to be able to squeeze another year out of my old socket 939 before a new build at the end of next year.

I understand MSI doesn't list the cpu as one supported by the board, but they do list the Opty 180 and a FX60 as supported procs which are very similar procs.

MSI tech support has been less than helpful :fou: . When I first inquired about the dual core cpu limit, I was told the board didn't support dual procs. I knew that was a crock. So when I called them out on it, I was given the cpu support list. But they're still sticking by their story that the board won't support the Opty 185. Frankly I don't trust them now, but I don't think they care one way or another. Finally what really burns me is that users of Asrock, DFI, Abit, Gigabyte, Asus mobos can use this proc just fine with a bios update. So for me, between the nonchalant tech support & lack of product support (even if its legacy), I've probably owned my last MSI product.
MSI,if you read this board now and then, you make good gear. But Naughty naughty :non:

I apologize for the mini rant.

Dale

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
u can use it make sure u get urself the latest bios for ur mobo.
my asus a8n-e doesn't support(the website has no mention of the opteron) the opteron 175 dual core cpu i currently have.its working fine and i do overclock my opteron-unfortunately crysis doesn't seem to like overclocked cpus -in my case-and crashes
btw u've got a nvidia nforce4 chipset and the msi neo 4f is great board-i wanted to buy it but i chose the asus a8n-e bcoz of the nvidia nforce4 ultra chipset and the awesome performance it had 3 years back.

arclight4507

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I purchased two MSI motherboards so far and they were both junk. I tried to contact MSI to get some help or an exchange, but they make it so dang difficult. I couldn't get anywhere. I refuse to waste any more money in the MSI moneypit. I also repair computers for people and I have found MSI boards to be the most unstable junk I have ever seen. :non:
I will stick to ASUS from now on. You save more money in the long run by buying a quality board from a company that stands behind it's product. In my opinion ASUS is the way to go. :sol: