Please help with HDTV outdoor antenna setup

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 7, 2005 4:49:51 AM

I recently got a Sanyo HDTV from walmart (HT 30744). I have digital
cable with a Scientific Altlanta Explorer 8300HD cable box. I am very
happy with the HD cable.

As with most of us, I want to get the most out of my new TV. Cable
does not have CBS or FOX in HD so I got a outdoor antenna to try to
pick them up off the air from Rochester NY, which is about 25 miles to
the north.

The antenna is VHF/UHF/FM "Digital Ready". I installed the antenna on
an old mast that has been on my house for years and I ran a RF cable
from the antenna to the TV. I tried the "digital" RF input and did a
channel search and it is as if I didn't even have an antenna attached.
It found nothing. I tried manual channel searching and there is
nothing there. I got the same results with the analog RF input.

Am I missing something?
May 7, 2005 4:49:52 AM

It should be connected to the analog input, not the digital.
Are you sure in your area you have strong OTA signals?

On Sat, 07 May 2005 00:49:51 GMT, Charlie9 <j@b.com> wrote:

>I recently got a Sanyo HDTV from walmart (HT 30744). I have digital
>cable with a Scientific Altlanta Explorer 8300HD cable box. I am very
>happy with the HD cable.
>
>As with most of us, I want to get the most out of my new TV. Cable
>does not have CBS or FOX in HD so I got a outdoor antenna to try to
>pick them up off the air from Rochester NY, which is about 25 miles to
>the north.
>
>The antenna is VHF/UHF/FM "Digital Ready". I installed the antenna on
>an old mast that has been on my house for years and I ran a RF cable
>from the antenna to the TV. I tried the "digital" RF input and did a
>channel search and it is as if I didn't even have an antenna attached.
>It found nothing. I tried manual channel searching and there is
>nothing there. I got the same results with the analog RF input.
>
>Am I missing something?
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 8:24:38 AM

On Sat, 07 May 2005 00:49:51 GMT, Charlie9 <j@b.com> wrote:

>I recently got a Sanyo HDTV from walmart (HT 30744). I have digital
>cable with a Scientific Altlanta Explorer 8300HD cable box. I am very
>happy with the HD cable.
>
>As with most of us, I want to get the most out of my new TV. Cable
>does not have CBS or FOX in HD so I got a outdoor antenna to try to
>pick them up off the air from Rochester NY, which is about 25 miles to
>the north.
>
>The antenna is VHF/UHF/FM "Digital Ready". I installed the antenna on
>an old mast that has been on my house for years and I ran a RF cable
>from the antenna to the TV. I tried the "digital" RF input and did a
>channel search and it is as if I didn't even have an antenna attached.
>It found nothing. I tried manual channel searching and there is
>nothing there. I got the same results with the analog RF input.
>
>Am I missing something?

yes.. it's probably looking on the wrong frequencies..

Set the TV tuner on the Sanyo in (setup menu)
to Antenna mode == ON (verses CATV mode).

Note: Changing Antenna input will have no effect on video input
feeding into TV from 8300HD.. (assuming it's connected properly).
May 7, 2005 9:41:53 AM

Charlie9 <j@b.com> wrote (in part):

>I recently got a Sanyo HDTV from walmart (HT 30744). I have digital
>cable with a Scientific Altlanta Explorer 8300HD cable box. I am very
>happy with the HD cable.
>
>As with most of us, I want to get the most out of my new TV. Cable
>does not have CBS or FOX in HD so I got a outdoor antenna to try to
>pick them up off the air from Rochester NY, which is about 25 miles to
>the north.
>
>The antenna is VHF/UHF/FM "Digital Ready". I installed the antenna on
>an old mast that has been on my house for years and I ran a RF cable
>from the antenna to the TV. I tried the "digital" RF input and did a
>channel search and it is as if I didn't even have an antenna attached.
>It found nothing. I tried manual channel searching and there is
>nothing there. I got the same results with the analog RF input.
>
>Am I missing something?

You didn't specify your antenna other than that it is for both UHF and
VHF. The VHF part will do you no good for digital, since all the
stations you're trying to get are UHF. Some are pretty well up there:
ABC on 59, NBC on 58. You said you got nothing on analog either; I'd
expect some picture, even a poor one, at 25 miles no matter what
quality of antenna you're using. Make sure it's hooked up properly.
If there are separate connections for UHF and VHF, try connnecting
only the UHF You might use your analog Fox station (ch. 31) to peak
your antenna, then try for Fox digital (ch. 28). Fortunately all of
your digitals and most of your analogs come from the same location.

Go to www.antennaweb.org and plug in your zip code to see where the
stations are relative to you and what kind of antenna you need for
them.

Del Mibbler
May 8, 2005 4:41:06 AM

Real clear diagram in the manual: Hook up ANY outdoor antenaa to the 75 ohm
VHF/UHF/CATV input.

http://www.sanyo.com/entertainment/televisions/diagrams...

RTFM

"Charlie9" <j@b.com> wrote in message
>I recently got a Sanyo HDTV from walmart (HT 30744). I have digital
> cable with a Scientific Altlanta Explorer 8300HD cable box. I am very
> happy with the HD cable.
>
> As with most of us, I want to get the most out of my new TV. Cable
> does not have CBS or FOX in HD so I got a outdoor antenna to try to
> pick them up off the air from Rochester NY, which is about 25 miles to
> the north.
>
> The antenna is VHF/UHF/FM "Digital Ready". I installed the antenna on
> an old mast that has been on my house for years and I ran a RF cable
> from the antenna to the TV. I tried the "digital" RF input and did a
> channel search and it is as if I didn't even have an antenna attached.
> It found nothing. I tried manual channel searching and there is
> nothing there. I got the same results with the analog RF input.
>
> Am I missing something?
May 8, 2005 1:16:27 PM

Hey Charlie9,
Have you got this problem resolved? How many HDTV channels are you
able to receive? Are you loving it?
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 7:25:00 PM

Randy <Randy@?.com> wrote in news:b57o71t4lns5sk6jobkv1pchrfn8113b8k@
4ax.com:

> It should be connected to the analog input, not the digital.
> Are you sure in your area you have strong OTA signals?

Since he's trying to get the HD signals, I think he should be feeding the
digital tuner with the digital input. Zilcho signal bothers me. I'm
suspecting a problem with the antenna cable. However, an antenna amp might
be worth a try.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 6:00:40 AM

On Sun, 08 May 2005 09:16:27 -0700, Randy <Randy@?.com> wrote:

>Hey Charlie9,
>Have you got this problem resolved? How many HDTV channels are you
>able to receive? Are you loving it?

No I still haven't resolved the antenna issue. I tried the antenna
with my old standard TV and I didn't get anything on it either. At
least this tells me It's not my TV. I tried a set of rabbit ears on
the new HDTV and at least there is a signal.

I'm trying to figure out why a rooftop antenna with a new 50' RF cable
would result in no signal at all.

I do love my new TV, and the HD cable channels are wonderful. I find
that I won't watch a show on the other channels as long as there is
something on HD.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:24:44 AM

May require checking the connections at the antennae head, checking the
connectors on each end of the cable [plus any other connections inline].
With each end of the cable disconnected, check the cable for a possible
short, caused when the connectors were improperly installed. At the
Antennae, check for shorted or crossed over and rubbing interconnective
wires before the termination points. Checking with an additional tele is a
good diagnostic to confirm functions before reconnecting it to the HD set.
> On Sun, 08 May 2005 09:16:27 -0700, Randy <Randy@?.com> wrote:
>
>>Hey Charlie9,
>>Have you got this problem resolved? How many HDTV channels are you
>>able to receive? Are you loving it?
>

> No I still haven't resolved the antenna issue. I tried the antenna
> with my old standard TV and I didn't get anything on it either. At
> least this tells me It's not my TV. I tried a set of rabbit ears on
> the new HDTV and at least there is a signal.
>
> I'm trying to figure out why a rooftop antenna with a new 50' RF cable
> would result in no signal at all.
>
> I do love my new TV, and the HD cable channels are wonderful. I find
> that I won't watch a show on the other channels as long as there is
> something on HD.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 1:03:52 PM

"Charlie9" <j@b.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 08 May 2005 09:16:27 -0700, Randy <Randy@?.com> wrote:
>
> >Hey Charlie9,
> >Have you got this problem resolved? How many HDTV channels are you
> >able to receive? Are you loving it?
>

> No I still haven't resolved the antenna issue. I tried the antenna
> with my old standard TV and I didn't get anything on it either. At
> least this tells me It's not my TV. I tried a set of rabbit ears on
> the new HDTV and at least there is a signal.
>
> I'm trying to figure out why a rooftop antenna with a new 50' RF cable
> would result in no signal at all.

Since most of the digital TV stations are on UHF, you have to be careful
with RF cable selection. RG-59/U has high loss on UHF and is not recommended
except for 3 or 6 foot lengths. RG-6/U is the best choice, and is widely
used for satellite installations.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 3:58:49 PM

Blue Cat (bluecat22@go.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> Since most of the digital TV stations are on UHF, you have to be careful
> with RF cable selection. RG-59/U has high loss on UHF and is not recommended
> except for 3 or 6 foot lengths.

The loss isn't *that* bad. Even fairly average RG-59 will be able to handle
a run of 50' or so. Granted, RG-6 would be able to handle 100' with the
same loss. But, good (double shielded) RG-59 might be able to run 70-80'
with the same loss as that 100' RG-6.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Pickles/Adoration.gif
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:06:02 PM

Charlie9 <j@b.com> wrote (in part):

>On Sun, 08 May 2005 09:16:27 -0700, Randy <Randy@?.com> wrote:
>
>>Hey Charlie9,
>>Have you got this problem resolved? How many HDTV channels are you
>>able to receive? Are you loving it?
>

>No I still haven't resolved the antenna issue. I tried the antenna
>with my old standard TV and I didn't get anything on it either. At
>least this tells me It's not my TV. I tried a set of rabbit ears on
>the new HDTV and at least there is a signal.
>
>I'm trying to figure out why a rooftop antenna with a new 50' RF cable
>would result in no signal at all.

As someone else here suggested a few messages back, if the TVs you
used for testing are set up to receive analog cable, they will NOT
receive UHF OTA. VHF channels 2-13 use the same frequencies as the
same-numbered cable channels, but UHF is different.

Del Mibbler
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:29:03 PM

Charlie9 <j@b.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 08 May 2005 09:16:27 -0700, Randy <Randy@?.com> wrote:
>
>>Hey Charlie9,
>>Have you got this problem resolved? How many HDTV channels are you
>>able to receive? Are you loving it?
>

>No I still haven't resolved the antenna issue. I tried the antenna
>with my old standard TV and I didn't get anything on it either. At
>least this tells me It's not my TV. I tried a set of rabbit ears on
>the new HDTV and at least there is a signal.
>
>I'm trying to figure out why a rooftop antenna with a new 50' RF cable
>would result in no signal at all.

Unless all the stations in your area are extremely weak, it sounds
like your antenna might be shorted to ground.

If you've got an ohmmeter, disconnect the RF cable from the TV and
measure the resistance between the wire in the center and the metal
outside sleeve of the cable. If it reads anything but infinity, you've
got a short which must be found and removed before your antenna will
work.

joemooreaterolsdotcom
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:45:33 PM

Joe Moore <munged@bad.example.com> wrote:

A half baked test procedure which won't work because
of the transformer between the antenna and the cable.
You may indeed have a short but the procedure I posted
below won't detect it.

>Charlie9 <j@b.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 08 May 2005 09:16:27 -0700, Randy <Randy@?.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hey Charlie9,
>>>Have you got this problem resolved? How many HDTV channels are you
>>>able to receive? Are you loving it?
>>

>>No I still haven't resolved the antenna issue. I tried the antenna
>>with my old standard TV and I didn't get anything on it either. At
>>least this tells me It's not my TV. I tried a set of rabbit ears on
>>the new HDTV and at least there is a signal.
>>
>>I'm trying to figure out why a rooftop antenna with a new 50' RF cable
>>would result in no signal at all.
>
>Unless all the stations in your area are extremely weak, it sounds
>like your antenna might be shorted to ground.
>
>If you've got an ohmmeter, disconnect the RF cable from the TV and
>measure the resistance between the wire in the center and the metal
>outside sleeve of the cable. If it reads anything but infinity, you've
>got a short which must be found and removed before your antenna will
>work.
>

>joemooreaterolsdotcom

joemooreaterolsdotcom
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 5:15:35 AM

On Tue, 10 May 2005 13:45:33 GMT, Joe Moore <munged@bad.example.com>
wrote:

>Joe Moore <munged@bad.example.com> wrote:
>
>A half baked test procedure which won't work because
>of the transformer between the antenna and the cable.
>You may indeed have a short but the procedure I posted
>below won't detect it.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. This is a great group. I'll
get this thing working yet. I'll work on it some more when I get a
day off, for now I'll have to make do with HD cable.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 9:43:01 PM

Could be something as simple as a bad balun (the 300 ohm - 74 ohm matching
transformer that connects between the antenna and the coax). I had been
getting great HD for weeks when all of a sudden, after a windy day,
**nothing**. I am assuming that there was some strain put on the leads into
the balun, but my point is that when it went south, my reception did too. I
pulled down my mast, replaced the balun, and was immediately back in
business. If you have a straight shot of coax between your antenna and
receiver, then only three things can be wrong - the antenna, balun, or coax
(including all connectors).

Phil

!