Move files to new Xp computer

How do I move my files and some applications (not all of which I have the Cd)
from an old computer with Windows 98Se to Xp? Are there any articles in the
Knowledge base or elsewhere that give instructions? If I reload some Office
applications from the original CD on the new computer how is it possible to
keep personalized settings, templates, glossaries, etc?
Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about move files computer

    Look in the help file for the Files and settings transfer wizard. Read the
    instructions carefully.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx
    You will have to reinstall your programs.

    "Rob" wrote:

    > How do I move my files and some applications (not all of which I have the Cd)
    > from an old computer with Windows 98Se to Xp? Are there any articles in the
    > Knowledge base or elsewhere that give instructions? If I reload some Office
    > applications from the original CD on the new computer how is it possible to
    > keep personalized settings, templates, glossaries, etc?
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    You can only move files, programs have to be installed from the original
    installation media. If you do not have that, then you cannot install the
    program. Copying over the program folder is not sufficient as the program
    installation routine creates necessary registry entries, file associations,
    and places needed files in the system folders.

    The FASTWIZ can be used to migrate settings, templates, etc. See:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do I move my files and some applications (not all of which I have the
    > Cd)
    > from an old computer with Windows 98Se to Xp? Are there any articles in
    > the
    > Knowledge base or elsewhere that give instructions? If I reload some
    > Office
    > applications from the original CD on the new computer how is it possible
    > keep personalized settings, templates, glossaries, etc?
    > Thanks

    Hi: IN a related question, I replaced my hard dive and during the fdisk
    process had forgotten that a flash memory stick was in a USB port.
    Consequently my c drive was named E: and the flash disk is now named c:. I
    think this might be causing problems with installation of some software (I
    get errors saying things related to not finding C: drives or can't find
    installed Microsoft components. Is there a way to change the logical name of
    the E: drive to C:?

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > You can only move files, programs have to be installed from the original
    > installation media. If you do not have that, then you cannot install the
    > program. Copying over the program folder is not sufficient as the program
    > installation routine creates necessary registry entries, file associations,
    > and places needed files in the system folders.
    >
    > The FASTWIZ can be used to migrate settings, templates, etc. See:
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How do I move my files and some applications (not all of which I have the
    > > Cd)
    > > from an old computer with Windows 98Se to Xp? Are there any articles in
    > > the
    > > Knowledge base or elsewhere that give instructions? If I reload some
    > > Office
    > > applications from the original CD on the new computer how is it possible
    > > keep personalized settings, templates, glossaries, etc?
    > > Thanks

    Hi,

    No, there isn't. You would have to start over, deleting and recreating the
    partitions in the process. There are simply too many things, including
    registry entries and pointers in system files to change it any other way.

    --

    "Bobby" <Bobby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi: IN a related question, I replaced my hard dive and during the fdisk
    > process had forgotten that a flash memory stick was in a USB port.
    > Consequently my c drive was named E: and the flash disk is now named c:.
    > think this might be causing problems with installation of some software (I
    > get errors saying things related to not finding C: drives or can't find
    > installed Microsoft components. Is there a way to change the logical name
    > of
    > the E: drive to C:?
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You can only move files, programs have to be installed from the original
    >> installation media. If you do not have that, then you cannot install the
    >> program. Copying over the program folder is not sufficient as the program
    >> installation routine creates necessary registry entries, file
    >> associations,
    >> and places needed files in the system folders.
    >>
    >> The FASTWIZ can be used to migrate settings, templates, etc. See:
    >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How do I move my files and some applications (not all of which I have
    >> > the
    >> > Cd)
    >> > from an old computer with Windows 98Se to Xp? Are there any articles in
    >> > the
    >> > Knowledge base or elsewhere that give instructions? If I reload some
    >> > Office
    >> > applications from the original CD on the new computer how is it
    >> > possible
    >> > keep personalized settings, templates, glossaries, etc?
    >> > Thanks

Computers CD-Rom Windows XP