Move files to new Xp computer

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How do I move my files and some applications (not all of which I have the Cd)
from an old computer with Windows 98Se to Xp? Are there any articles in the
Knowledge base or elsewhere that give instructions? If I reload some Office
applications from the original CD on the new computer how is it possible to
keep personalized settings, templates, glossaries, etc?
Thanks

Look in the help file for the Files and settings transfer wizard. Read the
instructions carefully.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx
You will have to reinstall your programs.

"Rob" wrote:

> How do I move my files and some applications (not all of which I have the Cd)
> from an old computer with Windows 98Se to Xp? Are there any articles in the
> Knowledge base or elsewhere that give instructions? If I reload some Office
> applications from the original CD on the new computer how is it possible to
> keep personalized settings, templates, glossaries, etc?
> Thanks

Hi,

You can only move files, programs have to be installed from the original
installation media. If you do not have that, then you cannot install the
program. Copying over the program folder is not sufficient as the program
installation routine creates necessary registry entries, file associations,
and places needed files in the system folders.

The FASTWIZ can be used to migrate settings, templates, etc. See:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I move my files and some applications (not all of which I have the
> Cd)
> from an old computer with Windows 98Se to Xp? Are there any articles in
> the
> Knowledge base or elsewhere that give instructions? If I reload some
> Office
> applications from the original CD on the new computer how is it possible
> keep personalized settings, templates, glossaries, etc?
> Thanks

Bobby

Hi: IN a related question, I replaced my hard dive and during the fdisk
process had forgotten that a flash memory stick was in a USB port.
Consequently my c drive was named E: and the flash disk is now named c:. I
think this might be causing problems with installation of some software (I
get errors saying things related to not finding C: drives or can't find
installed Microsoft components. Is there a way to change the logical name of
the E: drive to C:?

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You can only move files, programs have to be installed from the original
> installation media. If you do not have that, then you cannot install the
> program. Copying over the program folder is not sufficient as the program
> installation routine creates necessary registry entries, file associations,
> and places needed files in the system folders.
>
> The FASTWIZ can be used to migrate settings, templates, etc. See:
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I move my files and some applications (not all of which I have the
> > Cd)
> > from an old computer with Windows 98Se to Xp? Are there any articles in
> > the
> > Knowledge base or elsewhere that give instructions? If I reload some
> > Office
> > applications from the original CD on the new computer how is it possible
> > keep personalized settings, templates, glossaries, etc?
> > Thanks

Hi,

No, there isn't. You would have to start over, deleting and recreating the
partitions in the process. There are simply too many things, including
registry entries and pointers in system files to change it any other way.

--

"Bobby" <Bobby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi: IN a related question, I replaced my hard dive and during the fdisk
> process had forgotten that a flash memory stick was in a USB port.
> Consequently my c drive was named E: and the flash disk is now named c:.
> think this might be causing problems with installation of some software (I
> get errors saying things related to not finding C: drives or can't find
> installed Microsoft components. Is there a way to change the logical name
> of
> the E: drive to C:?
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can only move files, programs have to be installed from the original
>> installation media. If you do not have that, then you cannot install the
>> program. Copying over the program folder is not sufficient as the program
>> installation routine creates necessary registry entries, file
>> associations,
>> and places needed files in the system folders.
>>
>> The FASTWIZ can be used to migrate settings, templates, etc. See:
>> http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How do I move my files and some applications (not all of which I have
>> > the
>> > Cd)
>> > from an old computer with Windows 98Se to Xp? Are there any articles in
>> > the
>> > Knowledge base or elsewhere that give instructions? If I reload some
>> > Office
>> > applications from the original CD on the new computer how is it
>> > possible
>> > keep personalized settings, templates, glossaries, etc?
>> > Thanks

TRENDING THREADS