Major Framerates Problem

Rusty15

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I just recently upgraded my computer and it it really running like crap. I am getting MAJOR framerate issues when playing games. I am running a Intel Pentium D 2.8ghz, a Asus Motherboard, a 8800GTS Video Card, 2gb of RAM, 430 Watts Power Supply, etc. The computer store tells me its my processor that is getting bottlenecked because of the powerful video card and such. But I dunno. Everything seems to hit the benchmarks, all the latest drivers are installed, etc. My biggest question is could it really be the processor that is having the problem? I am thinking about moving to a 6850 Core 2 Duo, but I dont wanna buy a new processor if that really is not the problem. Maybe I just bought a lemon video card?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Well what games are you having frame rates problems with? For todays games anything lower than a Core 2 Duo or AMD 64 X2 4000+ and your going to bottleneck your system. Remember the graphics card is only as fast as the CPU can provide it data. I have not heard of anybody trying to game with any Pentium D before.

As has been said we could use some more info as in what do you mean by crap frame rate some games actually come with a built in frame cap so it would be usefull to know what you are plating and at what resolution etc.
Genarally speaking though yes the cpu will be the slowest link in your machine ie the bottleneck.
The other thing is are you sure that your power supply is giving enough power to the graphics card, a good quality 430 will probably be ok but i would worry that a generic one wont be putting out enough amps on the 12 volt rail.
Nvidea recomend 26 amps.
You can either take the side of the case off and have a look at the sticker on the powersupply or if you know the make and model you can google the spec for it.
Mactronix

Rusty15

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Its pretty much any game I play I am getting like 10 FPS where as before I upgraded my system, it was running most of my games fine. I upgraded for the newer games coming out these days and it cant even run my old ones now. Im guessing its the CPU but I just wanted some more opinions.

kainokai

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
10fps is over done. BUT, you gotta tell us more info, Exactly what games you are running and at what game settings and resolutions. Because if you are running Crysis at very high...then i can think of an answer for ya.... anyway, more details buddy, it will help us help you out

(^.^)V

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
If you were able to game better before upgrading then it could be:

1.) Driver issues
2.) Your power supply seems to weak to power an 8800GTS.

What was your video card before?

A Pentium D should be capable enough to play with an 8800GTS. I've read on other places where people with Athlon64's (single-core) had a huge framerate boost from upgrading to an 8800GTS.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

LOL I am one of those people.But I upgraded from a 6600GT so....

steffato

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Also an Atholon64 even singlecore is so much faster than Pentium D, so it doesn't make a comparison. However, to me it seems a driver problem. Try guru3d's driversweeper and then reinstall 169.12 drivers. If everything is the same, maybe it's your PSU. Pentium D's require a lot of power.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

Well depends on the situation and benchmark. But a Pentium D should be enough.

Yes this is a fact and a current problem in my pc. Needs a new PSU...

Rusty15

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Drivers are all up to date, temp is running fine. Power supply is a 430 watt, brand new and said to be able to run the 8800GTS just fine. The PCIe connector is in, and everything is hooked up right. The amps is 30 from what I can tell on the label on the PSU. I was using a ATI 800x before, and I ran FEAR and WoW and Doom3 on just about max settings no problem. Now I cant run anything on even Minimum settings without having nasty FPS.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
We need the exact model of your PSU to eliminate that as the culprit.

Power supply is a 430 watt, brand new and said to be able to run the 8800GTS just fine.

Says who? The people at the computer shop? There are actual experts here on the forums.

So, try to get us the exact model of your PSU.

Also, detail for us the upgrades you've done. What were your exact specs before and what did you add/replace? Did you only replace the x800 with the 8800GT? Did you uninstall the ATi drivers when you installed the NVidia?