lostjohnlocke

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I'm thinking of building a new pc, and wonder if it would be better and cheaper to just buy a barebones and upgrade or buy one outright,completed,needing little upgrading. I'm pretty convinced I can get a good pc with a dual core processor (anything over an AMD x2 4600+) w/ a gig of ram and slap a 512MB GT8800 in there and be ready to play most games on high graphics with good a good fps rate. I'm convinced it could be done for under 750.00, the gt8800s are only about 280.00 now. I'm sure I could get a nice 500$ pre-built computer w/ decent specs that could run almost all cur gen games at high. Here's an example http://youtube.com/watch?v=OAYg8bzehPQ of a similar system. Please let me know what you think,any suggestions for a comparable build are welcome.

Keep in mind that pre-built computers from HP, Dell, Acer and so on are very hard to upgrade. To add a good video card you usually need to replace the PSU first, and then the case turns out to be too small to fit a good PSU, etc.

akhilles

Splendid
$500 can buy you a basic gaming rig with 8800gt to boot:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/$500_gaming_pc_upgrade/

That's not saying I would recommend that. Just swap some parts out for better ones. Like the cpu, ram & mobo.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
You'd probably save a few dollars building but more important you'll have better parts, HP, Dell, etc, have to save money somewhere, e.g., the PSU, plus they generally over charge for any upgrades. Even if you go with a barebones and choose the parts, why pay someone $75 to $100 and a likely mark up on the parts. Finally, if you build the warranty will be better, any where from 3 years to lifetime depending on the part. If you're going with AMD suggest looking at the X2 5000+ Black edition, which is supposed to be really easy to overclock and not run into a heating problem. I'd go with a 570 mobo
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/22/budget_overclocker/

lostjohnlocke

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Also, I wonder about the link http://www.firingsquad.com/hardwar [...] c_upgrade/ , that is a really nice, affordable rig. I wonder if for the same money an even better build could be made? I am confident for the money that GPU GT8800 is the most cost efficient,but I wonder about the CPU and mobo.

How about this one?http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3329104&CatId=332

with another gig of ram and a 8800GT.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
First link doisn't work. As for the second link, at $49 for case and PSU, have to wonder about the quality given a good PSU will cost you that much. The mobo only has slots 2 slots for RAM while most allow for 4. It's based on the Via chipset, not the highest quality and it appears to have an AGP slot rather than PCIe x 16 for the video card, the latter is the current standard. Finally, that's the entry level AMD X2 CPU, which would be fine for office work and Internet but weak for gaming, video editing, etc. Finally, looks like you get a 30 warranty, which is the same as not getting one. For $350 you could get E Machine that would include everything including Windows. You can do much better if you build

doghills

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I agree wit g-paw and he is right about it having an AGP slot. You won't be able to put an 8800 in it. Also if you would get something like that you would need a better PSU.

Another thing to consider is how you are probably going to have to also spend on a power supply that maybe won't fit. Also you are probably going to have heat problems if you put an 8800 in a case that wasn't designed for it.

For $750 you can get a nice rig on newegg.

Ram Any 2gb ram with 4-4-4-? timings at 800mhz. $60

HD. However much you need. 320gb seems to be a sweet spot. $80

Video Card 8800 Gt $250 whenever the price settles out

Processor: If you are willing to overclock go with a e2180 or e2160 $90

Mother board: the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L is good. $90

PSU Corsair 550 watt PSU is a good one. It will last and is effeciant $100

Case Cooler master 690 Great airflow (7 120mm fans) $60

That is around $730 and with some good shopping can be less.

lostjohnlocke

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
wow, this is really neat. Also, the link I used was akhilles posted above
A nice machine that gets up there in fps on crysis. It is well worth a look. Thank you all so much for the help. I really thank you.

lostjohnlocke

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I am looking back and forth between cpus, and mobos and am now thoroughly confused and feel a bit worn out at the absolute variety of choices. I would like to spend 750.00. Is there a general consensus about any gaming build that we can all agree on that can be built for 750.00? My main concern is nice fps and high settings. I really don't usually go very high on the resolution,about 1280 x 1024 I think. I don't have a large monitor (19 inches), and only want a power supply that will run the necessary hardware. I am very appreciative that everyone has contributed so much to this thread, and now to save my sanity I will ask for a general consensus for the 750.00 I plan on spending. This is my first build and I keep going back and forth trying to compare things I really don't understand as well as many of you, so I thank you for your expertise in this field.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

If you only need a barebone system, i.e., mobo, CPU, RAM, and Video card, you could go with an Intel P35 mobo, something like a Q6600 or e6750, higher level gamining video card, and OEM XP. If you need everything, i.e., case, PSU, drives, then on that budget you'd be better off with the AM2 X2 5000+ Black edition, easy to overclock.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/22/budget_overclocker/

Doing it this way you'd end up with a lower level video card to start but could easily upgrade later. With a $750 budget for everything you'll have to get an upgradeable machine given you are not going to be able to afford higher level video card and PSU, although you can get a decent system that will meet your needs now as well as allow for upgrades in the future

lostjohnlocke

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
"doghills' suggested list is what I'd go with if I were in your position. We're just trying to save you headaches from picking out parts. "

And doing a very fine job of it! I thank you akhilles.