OCZ Core 64 SSD vs Velociraptor 300

jasobnd

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
the raptor is 300Gb at 10,000 Rpm its a fast drive but its a loud one aswell.

you will hear it compared to other drives.

as for Solid state drives im not really sure about them. my guess would be:

gamer = raptor

other = SSD

jasobnd

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
the SSD seems to be more efficient and wont be as loud and is cheaper.

but you wont get a larger size in tht model than 125Gb

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
if price is not a problem for you definitely OCZ Solid State drive. I have read some review recently on tom and it was the best of all tested and it was smoking even 15k server hdds. No matter games or Windows it will be faster you can be absolutely sure about that.

The only scenario it could be possibly slower is if you are copying a file on the same drive (transfer rate).

However notice something else. Solidstates dont deteriorate when filled with data opposite to HDDs. so a full Velociraptor will be at half speed while a full SSD will run on full speed

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
#1 - The VelocityRaptor is Whisper Quiet compared to most other drives. From reviews, you need to hold your ear to it to hear it. Previous Generation Raptors were quite load.

#2 - The SSD will be much faster, but I would still view it for special purpose. The capacity is not that great and longevity is still a concern since the drive can only handle limited writes.

My Choice would be the raptor.

Take a note on how it destroys every other drives, even when they are in RAID-0 and it is not........

http://xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/wd-velociraptor_7.html

That is not to say the SSD would not be faster, but I'm waiting for SSD drives that don't have r/w limits.

bandit77

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Yes, I think it will be SSD for me. Funny enough, I did a clean install on a HDD of all my essential software, and it only took up 10GB.

bandit77

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
One thing I really like about SSD's is that if you put them in RAID 0, the transfer rate scales linearly. ie 100mbps x2 = 200 mbps. With HDD's, it's more like 100mbps x2 = 150 mbps in Raid 0.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Velociraptor now; SSD in 6mos -> 1 year. I think by then, we will see far superior techonogy in SSD r/w speeds and larger capacities that make them more advantageous. Velociraptor seems to be a pretty decent price/performance ratio at this point, if that is what you desire.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

And the Bad Part is when in 12months they stop working because the have reached their write limit.

skywalker9952

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Get the Velociraptor. @64 GB with a 10 GB Windows install you only have 52 GB of fast drive left. At ~4GB a game that gives you at most 13 games that load quicker. The rest would have to be on your slow drive. As you moved on to newer games you would have to decide if a game was worth the precious space on your fast drive. A 300GB Velociraptor can put your OS and all your games on it, and it pretty freaking fast anyway. If you are not gaming then SSD is fine

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
SSD is a much better choice. I have two of the the Samsung SSD drive...and absolutely love it. One is in my laptop, and the other in my desktop. Here it is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147054

Make sure when you purchase a SSD that you know which type to get. There are two main types, SLC and MLC. SLC are much much faster, last much longer, and have a greater ability to store data without using ECC that MLC has to use. The only catch is that SLC drives are a bit more expensive than MLC ones...but since SLC drives will probably out last you (kinda scary), it pays for itself over the years.

The Samsung drive that was linked uses the SLC flash storage technology. I believe the drive you linked is a MLC based drive...although I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

In either case, I will never buy a drive that uses magnetic based storage again, unless I need large capacity for storage.

Get the Velociraptor. SSD's have potential, but the nice ones aren't cheap, and the cheap ones aren't nice. Unless you really would be willing to pay $800 for 64GB, in which case get the Samsung.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Since this hard drive purchase is for improving the end user experience (faster load times, etc.) I wonder if he would even notice a difference between the SSD or the Velociraptor. Both of them are extremely fast, just the SSD is extremely fast +1. Will it make a difference even?

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Yes, I used the Raptor, two of them in RAID 0, until the Samsung SSD. I notice a tremendous improvement. People can read about the speed of a SSD, but it is a totally different thing to actually use it. Once you try it, you will be sold.

pbrigido: I don't care if it is instant, in all honesty. It still wouldn't be worth that kind of money. When it is $500 for 300GB, or something like that, I'll be more likely to buy one, but for now, that's too much money for too little storage, even if it is blazing fast.

bandit77

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I should qualify my needs by saying it's primarily for work, and fast load/access times are much more important than capacity. re: 300gb. If you theoretically load up 75-90% of the drive, won't that significantly decrease the performance of the Velociraptor?

Griff805

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Hey guys, I've been having a bit of trouble with my OCZ SSD Core Drives, but I was able to work out some of the kinks. Here's my benchmarks, if someone wants to post their benchmarks of their Raptors. Just remember, I am still working out some kinks.

RAID 0:

Single 64GB Core SSD:

Computer:
Asus P5Q-Pro
Q9450 Stock
4GB DDR2 PC8500 G.skill
HD4850 CF
OCZ SSD Core 64GB RAID 0

bandit77

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008

Thank you for the 1st hand experience info, it is helpful. The price point on the OCZ is very good compared to an MLC drive. It makes it low enough for me to bite. In any case, when the MLC prices come down, I'll probably again upgrade to a faster drive and put the SLC in a secondary computer.

bandit77

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008

That is fantastic. Thank you. I am very impressed with the Raid 0 scaleability.

Griff805

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Just be sure to read through my experience with the drives on another Forum... do a google search for it. You'll find it. It wasn't/isn't a plug'n'play experience-

Quick note: the OCZ is MLC, while the Samsung is SLC. SLC is the faster and more reliable of the two.

As for the Velociraptor slowing down as it fills? Only if you don't defrag it.