Moving hard drive to external enclosure - how?!

Benson01

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Hello,

I have a very tired samsung X20 laptop. It has: 1.7 ghz, 2 gig ram, 250 gig western digital hard drive WD2500BEVE - with IDE type connection. Windows xp home with sp3.

All has been rosey untill the connection where hard drive is placed onto the motherboard was broken. Not a problem I though as I have an enclosure to put the drive in then connect using the usb. All wired up I turned the computer on, nothing in the drive bay and the same hard drive in the enclosure connected via usb.

The first screen is windows telling me it didn't shut down correctly and asking if I wish to load in safe mode, with or without networking etc or just to continue as normal. First choice was to load as normal. The usual loading sequence begins and the windows sign is shown with the blue(?) pulsing bar below. Great all looking good... no! Then I get a quick flash of horrid blue screen, less than a second, followed by the computer restarting becoming a repetitions cycle. Other load options create the same results.

So the question is how can I use the same drive everything already installed just how I like it with it outside the computer?

Thanks for any help!

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Sounds like the BIOS is already set to boot from external removeable drives if Windows tries to load. I think it is more likely that your Windows was corrupted (maybe in the same incident that damaged the connector?).

Try booting into the Last Known Good Configuration (and/or safe mode if Last Known Good fails) by tapping the F8 key rapidly when starting up the computer. This will open the Windows Startup Menu and give you the above options (along with others) to choose from.

If you have to use safe mode, do so and then proceed to run a chkdsk /r on your C: drive.

Let us know how you make out and whether you have any other questions.

Cheers!

Benson01

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

So... I pressed the F8 key and got the options up like you said. Tried most, all with the same results - windows starting followed by the same blue flash and a restart. One option was to 'Disable automatic restart on system failure'. This stopped the blue screen flash and gave me this blue screen message:

A problem has been detected and windows has beebeen shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time blar blar blar

technical information
*** STOP: 0×0000007B (0×F78AA528, 0×C0000034, 0×00000000, 0×00000000)

I had looked using google for usb installations and most pointed to fresh installs on flash usb sticks. I, however, just want to convert what I already have.

Any more ideas? Thanks again.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
The STOP: 0×0000007B error is also associated with hard drives being moved into a new computer and the registry trying to use the wrong controller driver. This is possible in your system as well, because the drive even though connected to the same laptop is now using a different connection method.

First question before we proceed. Is there data on the drive that you need to save and if so, do you have another computer you can connect the external drive to so that you can backup your data to a safe place?

Benson01

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Most of what is on the drive is not backed up. I don't have another computer - I'm using my phone to access the internet - Trips to internet cafe will be done in case of the need to download. If I did have a place to back up it is still within the 'my documents' and password protected. I do have other hard drives if I can find a way to get the computer working externally.

Am I correct in thinking I need to somehow give windows the right driver for external loading?

All the best

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Yes, I believe so. I am just hesitant to suggest that you try a Windows Repair install while you data is not backed up. It should not delete it, but sometimes repairing the corruption brings unexpected results.

The My Documents password-protection can be overridden from another computer by taking ownership of the folder.

Do you have a Windows CD or was it one of those recovery partition configurations?

Benson01

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Yes I have the Windows CD. I have also tried a new install on a different drive. This works up until the point where windows restarts to continue the installation. I assume for the same reasons.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Ok. That helps eliminate my controller driver idea. A fresh install should resolve that. Does your BIOS settings (under boot options) have settings dealing with botting to a USB device?

Benson01

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
In the bios I have a section 'boot'. Here I can change the 'Boot Device Priority'. By pressing F5/6 I get to change the order of CD-ROM, hard drive and removable devices.

The hard drive has a '+' next to it which when the usb and caddy is plugged in can expand to give details of the drive. ie WDC WD25 00BEVE-00WZT0

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Ok Benson01. I am wondering whether we can run Windows XP this way and Microsoft seems to say it can not be done. I have discovered a website that says otherwise. I think you should follow his directions using one of your hard drives that do not have your data on it, just to test his claim. Let me know how you make out (I think I will try his procedure myself as well... just for the knowledge). Here is the link:

http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

TaiFood

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Try the copyright and the privacy policy of good faith helping that online partnership I that Ebay helped the US with by doing what good corporate citizens do...
www.onguardonline.gov

And to correct the mess of the edits that were to be provided for the outline...

and the head start someone pushed me to publish not to embarrass but to protect my life.

they started to steal money from my Wells Fargo account and the zero interest account I used to be now was being punished as predicted by the desk tent I have to say ...why until Dec. 31 2012 all zero interest accounts receive unlimited Federal Insurance...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/privacy-final.pdf

TaiFood

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Healthcare and Education reconciliation act puts the thousands of agendas in one Bill the previous amendments were needed to improve the non-00gled specimen of UKshiremen joke or just another coincidence...

guess what...

autopen was needed and why?

Ex Pre Facts provide the signature that was missing and the ...umm..roll call..

of the press?

Over? as in jump how high or roll into the belly that laughs not ...it was see guy eye or CGI I think...I don't know it was too blury when she described it..,not...hardware...oops