Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Now whats better XFX or the EVGA 8800GT?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 20, 2007 10:21:15 AM

I am going to buy a new graphics card and was wondering which is better. I use to have Radeons and then have been with nVidia for a long time. the 8800GT SSC is looking good, but the HD3870 is about $100 cheaper and still has better memory bandwidth. Here are my computer stats first. Keep in mind, which one would be more compatible with my computer.

EVGA nVidia 680i Mobo
Core 2 Duo E6600
2 BFG GeForce 7600 GT OC (SLI)
2GB Corssair XMS2 DDR2 800
700w OCZ power
320GB Hard drive 16MB cache 7200RPM

Check out GPUreview in the link to see these cards side by side. You may have to overclock the settings to match up to the correct cards that I am refering to. http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=544&card2...

Here are the stats. I have the better stats for each in bold.

EVGA 8800GT SSC:
Price $330
Core 700MHz
Shader Clock 1600
Memory Clock 1000
Memory Bandwidth 64
Shader Ops 179200
Pixel Fill rate 11200
Texture fill rate 39200
Texture Units 56

Diamond Radeon HD3870 or PowerColor HD3870
Price $219
Core 775MHz
Shader Clock 775
Memory Clock 1200
Bandwidth 76.8
Shader Ops 248000
Pixel fill rate 12400
Texture fill rate 12400
Texture Units 16

I also looked a little closer and say that the Texture Units were also drastically different too. I am not sure what they are or do so your help an opinions would help me on that too.
So from the looks of it the Radeon card is better unless I am missing something here. Also you cant beat that $100 difference in price. So how important is the shader clock because there is a drastic difference and that is where Radeon falls behind? Also how high is the importance of the Texture fill rate? I haven't really heard of those Radeon companies putting out the Radeon card, but I do know that EVGA is a great company with a great step up program. Please give me your opinion's. Thanks guys.

More about : whats xfx evga 8800gt

a c 169 U Graphics card
November 20, 2007 11:25:13 AM

8800GT beats HD3870
November 20, 2007 11:25:27 AM

at those prices [performance:p rice] ratio - Radeon HD3870 is def. better...however if you were lucky like me and got a 8800GT for $250..than i think that would be better. Either get the HD3870 now...or wait and hope (pray to the nvidia gods) the 8800GT falls to around $250..though some don't think it will.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2007 11:29:50 AM

Yeah, I don't like the SSC for $330, but it's clearly the more powerful card. At least it's a $330 down-payment toward's whatever appears next. ;) 
November 20, 2007 12:06:00 PM

The 8800GT would be considerably faster, but not enough in my opinion to warrant the price difference. At those prices the 3870 is the better buy.
November 20, 2007 12:28:55 PM

The Nvidia card is faster and would leave you the option of SLI if desired.
November 20, 2007 12:41:23 PM

Get the plain vanilla 8800GT for $249 and O/C it youself.
November 20, 2007 12:51:20 PM

The 8800GT is the faster card and is probably a better value at retail. However, if you want to buy soon you may have trouble finding it at a reasonable price. I would go with the 3870 if you can't find a 8800GT for ~$250-$260.
November 20, 2007 1:12:37 PM

i will go with the 8800GT, Ati have to work more on their video card.
November 20, 2007 1:14:51 PM

Yeah, I agree with what's said above:

get the 8800GT if you can find it and/or wait. If not, the 3870 is your next best without having to go for a 8800GTX.
November 20, 2007 2:14:58 PM

I dunno, with the price gap between the two cards its hard to say which is a better deal. I went for the hd3870, not b/c its a better card, but b/c i have an x38 mobo and want to xfire.

I believe that you have a 680 mobo so getting the nvidia is probably a better bet, as you can get one now and if you need to upgrade later then buy a second.

but back to comparing the two cards, I mean with the pricing that the majority of the people are finding the cards at ~$300, and $219 for the 8800gt and hd3870 respectively, you are almost rating two different classes as one is almost one hundred dollars more than the other. I would hope that 100 extra would buy you more! my problem with this situation is that, in my opinion, the 8800gt should have been a lot better for the price gap, and it has only proved to be marginally better. 10 fps max increase for my $80 or so? probably not.


just my 2 cents.
November 20, 2007 7:49:54 PM

Well thanks guys. So I guess the 8800GT is winning everyones vote. I cant seem to even find these cards anymore. Everywhere says backordered. If you guys see the EVGA SSC 8800GT or equivelant in core and memory clock speeds without overclocking it please let me know. I am still not quite sure what makes the 8800GT so much better, because of the physical numbers on the HD3870 looks so much better including that high memory bandwidth. But I am no expert. What are you guys going by to see that the 8800GT is so much better? Just trying to learn.
November 20, 2007 8:33:45 PM

Get the 8800GT. Your motherboard supports SLI, so it's wise getting a card that supports it. If you get a high resolution monitor, having the options for sli would be a VERY good thing.....
November 20, 2007 8:38:51 PM

If you get a 8800GT, just dont get the SSC, its a waste of money.
Otherwise get a 3870
November 20, 2007 9:00:15 PM

aznstriker92 said:
If you get a 8800GT, just dont get the SSC, its a waste of money.
Otherwise get a 3870


Why a waste of money? That card has the overclocked specs of 700 core and 1000 memory. Which one do you recommend then?
November 20, 2007 9:01:54 PM

GPUReview is good for hardware specifications only and not a good place to judge performance from. I suggest you follow up on a few other sites for more info.

You can overclock a plain jane 8800GT on your own and save some money.
November 20, 2007 9:10:16 PM

Anoobis said:
GPUReview is good for hardware specifications only and not a good place to judge performance from. I suggest you follow up on a few other sites for more info.

You can overclock a plain jane 8800GT on your own and save some money.


I ran into some issues trying to overclock my current SLI 7600GTOC. For some reason they wouldn't overclock at all and when I tried, nothing would happen and there was no difference at all. Its like there was a safe guard on or something and nothing ever happened and I couldn't figure it out so I just gave up. Any suggestions?
November 20, 2007 9:23:01 PM

Hey guys I just found an MSI 8800GTOC 660 core and 950 mem for $300. Should I go with that one or is MSI crap? Also are there better deals out there even if I wait a few weeks or so?
November 21, 2007 1:35:08 AM

Ditto.The 8800GT outperforms the 3870 by a fair bit.As someone else mentioned,buy the default version of the card and overclock it yourself.You'll still get the same performance as the SSC version as long as you use the same clock speeds.Also EVGA supports oc'ing and covers it in their warranty.You also have the benefit of EVGAs 90 day step up program which allows you to trade your recently purchased 8800GT up to say a 9800GTX and you only pay the difference between what you paid for your card and the new card price.Not to mention a limited lifetime warranty,and,what I consider to be very good customer support.So ya,over all the 8800GT is the better way to go for now.And don't forget you can always purchase another 8800GT at a later date and run them in SLI.Hope we've helped you some.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 7950 GX2 500/1200
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
3DMARK 05 13,685
November 21, 2007 2:21:40 AM

get the evga GT card then step up to a better card when it comes out. It even gives you the possibility to SLI on your board.
November 21, 2007 2:39:25 AM

Hey whats that mean a 90 day step up program? Does that mean if I exceed the 90 days then no more step up program for me?
November 21, 2007 2:40:50 AM

I am looking at the XFX which lakedude recommended and am ready to buy, but you really think I should wait a while for the EVGA instead? Also, please reply to my 90 day question right above this one.
November 21, 2007 2:48:44 AM

ok an EVGA 8800GT Superclocked just became available for $289. Should I take it now?
November 21, 2007 2:55:21 AM

Well I've already explained the 90 day step-up program to you,but to elaborate a bit more on it,you need to purchase the card,go to EVGAs website,register the card,apply for the step-up and wait for your new card to become available.Once it is,EVGA will send you an e-mail letting you know that the new card is now available,and what the differnce is you need to pay to get it.EVGA is the only company to offer this.As far as I know anyways.At which point you will need to send the card to them and the extra money needed to pay the difference on the new card'And the best one of all,EVGA will cross ship the new card to you once it has confirmed that you've sent the older one back and it's on its way.Again,I know of no other company who does this either.So ya,I recommend waiting a bit longer and get the 8800GT.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 7950 GX2 500/1200
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
3DMARK 05 13,685
November 21, 2007 2:56:53 AM

It is always a good idea to wait. The 8800GT is a hot item right now so you are paying a bit of a premium. However if you are ready to buy right now my vote is the XFX card. XFX has a double lifetime warranty.

I'd only purchase the EVGA if you plan to "step up" and then my question would be step up to what? I guess the new GTS is coming but if you want one of them you should just wait and skip the 8800GT purchase all together.

I've had 2 XFX cards (7800GT, 8800GTS) and both have been great. BTW I don't work for them or anything so I really don't care what you buy, just trying to help.....

EVGA guys, don't you end up paying quite a bit more using step up than by just buying the 2nd card straight up?
November 21, 2007 2:59:31 AM

Yeah.....I did......probably will upgrade and stuff
November 21, 2007 3:05:29 AM

If your only interested in FPS then go with Nvidia, if you care about image quality then go with ATI.
November 21, 2007 3:17:38 AM

The EVGA limited lifetime warranty sounds kind of sketchy. You have to pay for shipping both ways if you have to return it which is understandable, but sucks, and also they only fix your card and not give you a new one, so that means you are out of a card for a while from what I understand and you have to make sure to keep your original receipt which after a year or two can be sucky too. They say if you do not have original receipt then its at your own expense and your warranty is void. For XFX, they have a full coverage lifetime warranty no matter what you do to the card or what it looks like. Even if you sell it to a friend, that friend must register and he will then also be covered by the full coverage lifetime warranty. XFX is looking a little better on the warranties. Also, DaHak, I understand the idea of the 90 day step up program and thanks, but what I am trying to understand is the 90 day part. Does that mean if I keep my new card for more then 90 days then I wont be able to apply for the step-up program anymore? I just dont get the 90 day part. I can only assume its from the time I buy it until 90 days after I can apply for the step up program and anything after that then no step up. I wont be able to apply for the step up program a year from now right?
November 21, 2007 3:49:27 AM

yeah... from what i understand, the 90 day step up period, is only valid from date of registration (at which point you list your date of purchase too), to 3 months after that. after 3 months, its no longer any good.

the biggest benefit though, is if a much better card comes out within 90 days of your purchase, and you want to upgrade to that, you only pay a relatively minimal amount, instead of possibly hundreds more, yet again. but after 90 days, again, its no longer valid. so no need to worry about keeping your receipt for a long time, just for only that.
November 21, 2007 3:57:29 AM

well I am really more the type of guy to buy a card and stick with it for a while. My next purchase will be another 8800GT to go SLI mode. So XFX's double warranty is looking really good to me right now.
November 21, 2007 3:58:09 AM

Hey you guys think on Black Friday these cards will have major deals? Anyone heard anything?
November 21, 2007 5:27:32 AM

Spitfire7 said:
The EVGA limited lifetime warranty sounds kind of sketchy. You have to pay for shipping both ways if you have to return it which is understandable, but sucks, and also they only fix your card and not give you a new one, so that means you are out of a card for a while from what I understand and you have to make sure to keep your original receipt which after a year or two can be sucky too. They say if you do not have original receipt then its at your own expense and your warranty is void. For XFX, they have a full coverage lifetime warranty no matter what you do to the card or what it looks like. Even if you sell it to a friend, that friend must register and he will then also be covered by the full coverage lifetime warranty. XFX is looking a little better on the warranties. Also, DaHak, I understand the idea of the 90 day step up program and thanks, but what I am trying to understand is the 90 day part. Does that mean if I keep my new card for more then 90 days then I wont be able to apply for the step-up program anymore? I just dont get the 90 day part. I can only assume its from the time I buy it until 90 days after I can apply for the step up program and anything after that then no step up. I wont be able to apply for the step up program a year from now right?


Well now.I didn't know XFX offered such a warranty.I guess I should look more into it.This must be fairly recent then,(last couple years),as EVGA did offer the best warranty in the business.Guess they'll have to take another look at their warranty and revamp it.I still say EVGA is a good company to buy from.I've always been satisfied with their products,and their customer support has always been top notch.Thanks again.

Dahak
November 21, 2007 5:51:10 AM

Dahak said:
Well now.I didn't know XFX offered such a warranty.I guess I should look more into it.This must be fairly recent then,(last couple years),as EVGA did offer the best warranty in the business.Guess they'll have to take another look at their warranty and revamp it.I still say EVGA is a good company to buy from.I've always been satisfied with their products,and their customer support has always been top notch.Thanks again.

Dahak


Yeah I agree with you. I have the EVGA 680i motherboard and there customer service has been great but what is selling me is XFX's quote about how even if you want to push their video card to the max extreme we will still cover you and send you out a new one. Awesome! Almost too good to be true.

Man, I have 2 BFG 7600GT OC's SLI and for some reason they wont overclock. Any idea why?
November 21, 2007 1:54:49 PM

Spitfire7 said:
Yeah I agree with you. I have the EVGA 680i motherboard and there customer service has been great but what is selling me is XFX's quote about how even if you want to push their video card to the max extreme we will still cover you and send you out a new one. Awesome! Almost too good to be true.

Man, I have 2 BFG 7600GT OC's SLI and for some reason they wont overclock. Any idea why?


Are they passively cooled?If so,you could be looking at a locked vga bios.I've come across that before.If not,did you enable coolbits in the registry?I'm assuming you have also tried riva tuner and/or ati tool.Or it could just be that your cards,being overclocked by the manufacturer already,have hit their proverbial ceiling so to speak,and there simply is no more room to overclock.Or BFG has locked the VGA bios,simply to help protect their warranty.Let me know what happens.

Dahak

November 21, 2007 6:46:56 PM

Dahak said:
Are they passively cooled?If so,you could be looking at a locked vga bios.I've come across that before.If not,did you enable coolbits in the registry?I'm assuming you have also tried riva tuner and/or ati tool.Or it could just be that your cards,being overclocked by the manufacturer already,have hit their proverbial ceiling so to speak,and there simply is no more room to overclock.Or BFG has locked the VGA bios,simply to help protect their warranty.Let me know what happens.

Dahak



Well I was just using the default nVidia overclocking settins in my windows. I dont think it works. Hey is there a simple to use not very long overclocking tip manual on here or anywhere that you would recommend?
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2007 7:36:11 PM

nhobo said:
Get the plain vanilla 8800GT for $249 and O/C it youself.



Good point. :D 

@OP: Get a 8800GT and OC it your self, that is if you know the secret to OC'ing ......:lol: 
November 21, 2007 8:23:51 PM

Dude I have no idea how to overclock. I thought I did and I just got frustrated with it because it never worked.
November 21, 2007 8:26:33 PM

OK so now I am settled with the 8800GT. Now its between XFX or EVGA. What do you think?
November 21, 2007 8:50:57 PM

Well it seems that both companies offer a decent warranty,they both produce great products.I'm unfamiliar with XFX's customer support,but I do know that EVGA has excellent customer support 24/7/365.Now if XFX can do the same,then I would say XFX.However,there is still the EVGA 90 day step-up program.This alone speaks to me of EVGA's commitment to the gamer and it speaks volumes to how they view gamers these days.I wish I'd had more experience with XFX,it would make this a lot easier.I guess at this point,go with either one.Seems you can't really lose no mater what one you buy.If you are still undecided,then look at the price difference(if any),and go for the cheaper one.And then there's also the visual appeal of the card itself.If one is more appealing to you then go with it.Sorry I can't be more help.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 7950 GX2 500/1200
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
3DMARK 05 13,685
November 21, 2007 8:58:58 PM

I got the eVGA 8800GT SC (both are good, my last card was an XFX)
One way to look at it:
eVGA- lifetime warranty, 90days to step-up, leaves you an option (which at the moment may be a good thing)
XFX- if you plan on hanging on to it for a while-double lifetime warranty, which would add re-sale value to the card when you go to sell it since the buyer will also have a lifetime warranty (US only)
November 21, 2007 9:02:32 PM

Dahak said:
Well it seems that both companies offer a decent warranty,they both produce great products.I'm unfamiliar with XFX's customer support,but I do know that EVGA has excellent customer support 24/7/365.Now if XFX can do the same,then I would say XFX.However,there is still the EVGA 90 day step-up program.This alone speaks to me of EVGA's commitment to the gamer and it speaks volumes to how they view gamers these days.I wish I'd had more experience with XFX,it would make this a lot easier.I guess at this point,go with either one.Seems you can't really lose no mater what one you buy.If you are still undecided,then look at the price difference(if any),and go for the cheaper one.And then there's also the visual appeal of the card itself.If one is more appealing to you then go with it.Sorry I can't be more help.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 7950 GX2 500/1200
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
3DMARK 05 13,685


No thats good Dahak. Thanks man. Hey dahak, are you any good with overclocking? I am thinking about taking everyones advice on buying the cheaper card and then just overclocking it myself up to the better specs, but dont know how. Anybody elses feedback would be appreciated too.
November 21, 2007 9:38:33 PM

Well Spit you waited too long, the cheaper XFX cards are sold out.
November 21, 2007 10:17:43 PM

You have to be ready to pull the trigger when you find one you want.
November 21, 2007 10:42:27 PM

Now NewEgg is out of the EVGA as well.

One good thing about the XFX is that it comes with a free copy of COH! I just picked up an XFX 8600 to give away as a x-mas gift except I'm keeping the free Company Of Heros disks for myself!!
November 21, 2007 11:44:33 PM

I have two 7600GT's right now, so I am in no super rush and I think I am going to wait to see if Black Friday comes up with anything good. Also, I have to sell these 7600Gt's first or right around the same time for the money. Thanks for looking out though guys.
a c 272 U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 1:34:14 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!