How will "Phenom" change the CPU Market?

How will "Phenom" change the CPU Market?

• This is AMD's salvation - good times are here again!

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • A strong step forward for AMD

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • A small step forward for AMD, may not be enough

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Overall situation is basically unchanged

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • A decent CPU, but AMD is still in trouble

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Disappointing CPU, AMD is in trouble,

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • Disappointing CPU, AMD is still doomed

Votes: 7 5.4%

• Total voters

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
I voted for "A small step forward for AMD, may not be enough"

It may not be the fastest CPU, it's not even the cheapest, but it does finally bring consumers a CHOICE in terms of quad core. Sure, Intel is still the better choice IMO, but that won't stop many people buying Phenom. You have your existing AM2 users, your diehard AMD fanboys, and just plain Joes that have no idea about CPUs whatsover and will inevitably get a few buying Phenom just for the simple fact that it's on the market.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not bad new CPUs but not worth the wait. Intel already has a bunch of chips that stomp the crap out of AMD's newest. Disappointing, I think AMD/ATI is going to be in trouble, which sucks cause somebody needs to keep nVidia and Intel honest and competitive. With all the talk about how the new AMD chips were going to be the first "true" 4 core CPUs I expected more. Must suck to get your butt kicked by an "un-true" chip.....

jamesro

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
hmmm i think AMD should have kept quiet when criticizing Intel's "quad core" which is essentially two dual cores on the same chip.
AMD was all hoohaa about their "native quad core design" and how all 4 cores can exchange data without leaving the die.. but seriously
its top of the range isn't beating the 6600.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Put four of em in a server vs. four Penryns and you'll see.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Hold on now Baron, I'm one of your supporters, but Phenom is the desktop quad. You shouldn't have to stack 4 of them in a system to get comparable performance.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
I am still curious how they will do once they test them on the 790 chipset that supports the H3. Also, if vista is the last Windows OS to support 32 bit, then I would also like to see how it does with a 64 bit OS. I don't think things look good for the phenom, but I don't think we have a complete picture either.

This from the December issue of PC Pro - a British computer magazine:

From Greg White, AMD vice president of the desktop division: "This innovation is a direct result of the industry's first true, native quad-core design, coupled with AMD's manufacturing flexibility, to create multicore processors in two, three, or four core configurations on a single die of silicon."

And from Paul Ottelini, Intel CEO: "We see a distinct advantage in having all the cores on our die work."

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

You mean 4 Barcelona and 4 6-core native Penryn? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm pretty sure Barcelona will be slaughtered.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Not really. The Barcelona chips scale beyond belief. I would wager that 4 Penryn quads would have a hard time keeping up with 4 Barcys clock for clock. But, that's a different arguement. Phenom is a desktop chip. Noone can expect typical gamers to buy SMP boards just to get equal performance to Intel.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I think it's big dissapointment, phenom is like this canadian chick i dated, she looked like tyra banks(b4 she became a pig), had a sinfully hot body, and danced like a superfreak, so i anticipated getting this poon for a month thinking it was gonna be the bomb, when i finally got it, not only was it lame, but it was the lamest pussy i ever had. I see phenom as that lame pussy that i waited for for nothing.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The biggest issue with this CPU is that it's 6-12months late.

If it had come out before all of the C2D G0 steppings, it would have faired better in comparison.

However, now that the G0s out and only 2months until the Penryn ships, AMD has not really gained any ground.

Due to the larger Die Size, the Phenom will be even more expensive to produce which will make rock bottom pricing a little more difficult.

With Intel moving to the 45nm process, they could likely even hurt AMD even more in the price department.

mustardman24

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006

That relation is uncanny and I feel much smarter knowing ;)

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
How will "Phenom" change the CPU Market? I think the answer is pretty darn clear. It won't change it because it's a paper launch. Where does one buy these? Usually, at least the big retailers would have them from pre-order if not already in stock at launch. Where are these chips?

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

You can say the same for the QX9650 CPU, although about 6x more expensive. It's been released for some time, and availability is crap.

I think both AMD and Intel are just releasing so limited a quantity, to validate that it wasn't a vapor launch, so they can claim they did have it ready, and all it a limited launch.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If Q6600 offers better TDP, performance (/ per clock, /per watt/ per dollar) and better OC capabilitys I'd say AMD is still in trouble

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
The QX9650 isnt supposed to sell, its supposed to just be there.
Plus AMD is trailing its own roadmap by A LOT of months, so it can be expected that they got some inventory, but they dont.

I think that says it all. Pretty bad when my overclocked 4000+ beats the snot out of a Phenom. Really sucks not having any option for upgrading, unless I get the 6400+ which is far superior then the Phenom as well (unless you can get the Phenom up to 3ghz).
Maybe AMD will improve the cpus, but it's looking like if I upgrade, it's going to be a Intel cpu instead.

I vote a strong step forward but not because of the Phenom. The Phenom is only a small step forward at best the real strong forward step was spider. Having 4 GPU's with a 9600 should over come a 2 GPU setup with Penryn in gaming. In gaming the GPU is king and AMD is hitting hard on Intels biggest weakness.

This isn't a done deal as AMD will have to get a lot of games working on 4X HD 3800's. No matter tho as it will push Intel and Nvidia to come out with competing mobos and GPU's. I think it will take Intel about 8 months to challenge spider in games mobo wise. Nvidia should come back fast as they only need a GPU refresh for their GPU's to work on spider.