DDR3 @ 2000MHZ? HOW?

Perp

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I was reading a review of gskill ddr3 1600mhz ram that stated they were able to get the ram to run at 2000mhz. I'm curious to know how this is possible. Do some motherboards allow much faster ram multipliers than 1.4?

Forgive my noobness about ram speeds, but my mobo's max ram multiplier seems to be 1.4 meaning they would have needed a FSB of 700+mhz to hit those speeds. To me it doesn't seem likely that any real world sytems are capable of maintaining that kind of fsb for daily use. If that's the case why are they even pushing DDR3 when "most" enthusiasts would only gain 400 mhz from going to the fastest available DDR3 if limited by a 1.4 mem multiplier?

Thanks for your replies, but every time I search for info on the subject all I can find are explantions on how DDR3's headroom will ultimately trump DDR2's low latency. However, to me it doesn't seem to add up given hardware capabilities; I mean is intel going to suddely release a chipset/northbridge that can with normal cooling at 1000mhz?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Motherboards have memory multipliers higher than 1.4. I'm not sure what's the highest, but my board does 4.0. Thus the FSB would have to be 500MHz, which is quite possible on today's high end boards.